South Dakota State Captures League Baseball Championship
Score: No. 1 South Dakota State 1, No. 3 North Dakota State 0
Records: South Dakota State (35-22), North Dakota State (26-27)
Location: OU Baseball Field - Rochester, Mich.
ROCHESTER, Mich. – No. 1 South Dakota State captured its first league tournament title and NCAA Tournament berth by defeating No. 3 North Dakota State, 1-0, in a second championship game on Sunday.
A first inning, two-out single by Scott Splett got things started for South Dakota State. After a wild pitch and passed ball, Daniel Telford knocked a double to right center field to score Splett from third base. That would be all the Jackrabbits would need as pitchers Shane Kraemer, Stephen Bougher and Layne Somsen did not allow any Bison runs.
North Dakota State threatened in the fifth and seventh innings by advancing runners to third base but came up empty on both occasions.
Kraemer (4-2) recorded the victory for the Jackrabbits, while Somsen earned his first save of the season. Trevor Jaunich (2-7) suffered the loss for the Bison.
The Jackrabbits scored one run with two outs in the top of the first, which proved to be enough to win the game. Scott Splett singled to start the inning and advanced to second on a wild pitch then went to third on a passed ball. The next batter, Daniel Telford hit an RBI double to left center field, scoring Splett for the eventual game-winner.
Inside The Box Score
- South Dakota State pitchers have not issued a walk in 29 consecutive innings.
- Daniel Telford had two hits, both doubles, to lead the Jackrabbits en route to being named Tournament MVP.
- Wes Satzinger and Blake Turbak had two hits apiece to lead the Bison.
- South Dakota State pitchers combined for six strikeouts compared to just one for North Dakota State.
News & Notes
- South Dakota State became just the second team in league history to win the title after dropping its first game in the tournament (Missouri State, 1984).
- The Jackrabbits won their first league tournament title in school history.
- The 35 total runs scored in the 2013 tournament sets a new record. The previous low was 38 runs set last season.
- The 1-0 final score was the record fourth shutout of the tournament.
- On the day, South Dakota State had the lead-off batter reach base in 11 of the 18 innings between the two games.
Stephen Bougher, South Dakota State
Dan Dispensa, Western Illinois
Kolton Emery, South Dakota State
David Ernst, North Dakota State
Tanner Glore, Western Illinois
Jason Hager, Oakland
Nolan Jacoby, Oakland
Kyle Kleinendorst, North Dakota State
Aaron Michel, Western Illinois
J.D. Moore, South Dakota State
Wes Satzinger, North Dakota State
Scott Splett, South Dakota State
John Straka, North Dakota State
Daniel Telford, South Dakota State (MVP)
South Dakota State earns The Summit League's automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament. The selection show takes place Monday at 11 a.m. (CT) on ESPNU.