ELMHURST, Ill. – North Dakota State outfielder Ben Petersen and Oral Roberts catcher Matt Whatley were named Summit League Baseball Players of the Week, while ORU starting pitcher Nick Wood garnered the league's Pitcher of the Week award for their performances during the week of April 4-10.
PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
BEN PETERSEN, NORTH DAKOTA STATE
Jr. // OF // Lino Lakes, Minn.
- Collected his first career Player of the Week award after leading North Dakota State to a perfect 4-0 record on the week
- Recorded at least one hit in all four games and added two runs in each contest
- Went 3-for-4 with four RBI and two runs scored in the series finale victory over Fort Wayne Sunday
- Started the week with a 2-for-4 performance with two runs and two RBI vs. Minot State
- For the week, had a .438 batting average (7-for-16), .812 slugging percentage and .550 on-base percentage
- Totaled eight RBI and eight runs scored with four walks, two stolen bases and one double, triple and homer
MATT WHATLEY, ORAL ROBERTS
So. // C // Claremore, Okla.
- Earned his second career Player of the Week honor and second this season
- Went 4-for-4 in the series finale win at Western Illinois with three runs scored and two RBI
- Added three hits in game two of the series with a pair of RBI and a double
- For the week, accounted for 10 runs (8 R, 8 RBI) with three walks, two doubles, two stolen bases and a sacrifice fly
- Had a .571 average (8-for-14), .929 slugging percentage and .650 on-base percentage in four games last week
Also nominated: Jonathan Valenzuela-Reece, Fort Wayne; Alex Schultz, Omaha; Luke Ringhofer, South Dakota State; Chris Tschida, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 22 – Clayton Taylor, UNO; Feb. 29 – Nick Roark, ORU; March 7 – Matt Whatley, ORU; March 14 – Luke Ringhofer, SDSU/Clayton Taylor, UNO; March 21 – Rolando Martinez, ORU; March 28 – Cole Gruber, UNO; March 4 – Brent Williams, ORU
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
NICK WOOD, ORAL ROBERTS
Sr. // RHP // Los Alamitos, Calif.
- Collected his second career Summit League Pitcher of the Week award and second on the year
- Tossed a complete-game one-hit shutout in Oral Roberts' 6-0 win in game one of Saturday's doubleheader at Western Illinois
- Had seven strikeouts and allowed just two batters to reach base (one hit, one walk) in nine innings of work
- Threw just 102 pitches in the game and faced the minimum number of batters
- The right-hander threw the first one-hit shutout for ORU since 2009.
Also nominated: Brandon Pease, Fort Wayne; Zach Mayo, North Dakota State; Jordan Pannell, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 22 – Luke Lind, NDSU; Feb. 29 – Tyler Fox, UNO/Brady Womacks, ORU; March 7 – Nick Wood, ORU; March 14 – Corey Binger, UNO; March 21 – Landon Busch, SDSU; March 28 – Joe Mortillaro, WIU; March 4 – Josh McMinn, ORU/Sam Murphy, UNO
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
In its fourth decade of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 75 Academic All-Americans, 65 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. In 2014-15, The Summit League ranked first for NCAA Graduation Success Rate in women's basketball and second in baseball. For more information about the league and to "See The Summit", visit the www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.