ELMHURST, Ill. – Fort Wayne shortstop Greg Kaiser was named Summit League Baseball Player of the Week while ORU relief pitcher Josh McMinn garnered the league's Pitcher of the Week award for their performances during the week of April 11-17.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
GREG KAISER, FORT WAYNE
Sr. // SS // Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Earned his third career Summit League Player of the Week award and first this season
- Helped the Mastodons to a perfect 4-0 week, including a series sweep at Western Illinois over the weekend
- In game one, went 3-for-5 with three two-run home runs for a six-RBI afternoon
- Followed that up by blasting two more dingers Saturday, more than doubling his season output (4) in just two days to move up to first on the league's home run leaderboard (9)
- Batted .647 (11-for-17), tallying at least two hits in each game this week, and went 3-for-5 in all three wins against the Leathernecks
- Slugged 1.647 with a .700 on-base percentage and driving in 10 runs in four games; Seven of his nine base hits went for extra bases
Also nominated: Drew Fearing, North Dakota State; Grant Suponchick, Omaha; Nick Rotola, Oral Roberts; Paul Jacobson, South Dakota State
Previous honorees: Feb. 22 – Clayton Taylor, UNO; Feb. 29 – Nick Roark, ORU; March 7 – Matt Whatley, ORU; March 14 – Luke Ringhofer, SDSU/Clayton Taylor, UNO; March 21 – Rolando Martinez, ORU; March 28 – Cole Gruber, UNO; April 4 – Brent Williams, ORU; April 11 – Ben Petersen, NDSU/Matt Whatley, ORU
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
JOSH MCMINN, ORAL ROBERTS
Fr. // RHP // Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Collected his second Summit League Pitcher of the Week award of the season
- Earned two relief appearance wins on the week, who had an undefeated week (4-0), including a three-game series sweep of Omaha
- Tossed three innings without allowing a hit against nationally-ranked Oklahoma State to earn the victory
- Pitched the final four innings of the series' finale against Omaha, allowing just one hit and striking out four
- In total, threw 7.0 innings, allowed one hit, one walk, and no earned runs with a WHIP of 0.286
Also nominated: Jake Weber, Fort Wayne; Landon Busch, South Dakota State
Previous honorees: Feb. 22 – Luke Lind, NDSU; Feb. 29 – Tyler Fox, UNO/Brady Womacks, ORU; March 7 – Nick Wood, ORU; March 14 – Corey Binger, UNO; March 21 – Landon Busch, SDSU; March 28 – Joe Mortillaro, WIU; April 4 – Josh McMinn, ORU/Sam Murphy, UNO; April 11 – Nick Wood, ORU
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
In its fourth decade of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 75 Academic All-Americans, 65 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. In 2014-15, The Summit League ranked first for NCAA Graduation Success Rate in women's basketball and second in baseball. For more information about the league and to "See The Summit", visit the www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.