ELMHURST, Ill. – South Dakota State second baseman Tony Kjolsing was named Summit League Baseball Player of the Week while Fort Wayne starting pitcher Trevor Strorie garnered the league's Pitcher of the Week award for their performances during the week of May 16-22. The awards mark the final weekly honors of the season.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
TONY KJOLSING, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
So. // 2B // Chaska, Minn.
- Earned his first career Player of the Week award
- Scored what proved to be the game-winning run during the top of the ninth inning in Saturday's 7-4 win at North Dakota State which secured the Jackrabbits a spot in the league tournament
- Had three hits in the series finale and added a pair of base hits in the first two games of the series
- Scored three runs in a 7-6 mid-week win over No. 21 Minnesota in extra innings
- For the week batted .500 (8-for-16) with a .688 slugging percentage and .579 on-base percentage
- Had five runs scored, three RBI, three doubles and one walk in four games
Also nominated: Jackson Boyce, Fort Wayne; Ben Petersen, North Dakota State; Collin Leif, Omaha
Previous honorees: Feb. 22 – Clayton Taylor, UNO; Feb. 29 – Nick Roark, ORU; March 7 – Matt Whatley, ORU; March 14 – Luke Ringhofer, SDSU/Clayton Taylor, UNO; March 21 – Rolando Martinez, ORU; March 28 – Cole Gruber, UNO; April 4 – Brent Williams, ORU; April 11 – Ben Petersen, NDSU/Matt Whatley, ORU; April 18 – Greg Kaiser, IPFW; April 25 – Paul Jacobson, SDSU; May 2 – Logan Busch, NDSU; May 9 – Brandon Soat, IPFW; May 16 – Noah Cummings, ORU
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
TREVOR STORIE, FORT WAYNE
Sr. // RHP // Huntington, Ind.
- Captured his second Pitcher of the Week honor this season and of his career
- Tossed seven innings in Friday's 2-0 shutout win over Western Illinois
- Allowed just four hits with five strikeouts and two walks to earn his team-leading seventh victory of the season
- Friday's win secured the No. 3 seed for the Mastodons in the upcoming Summit League Tournament
Also nominated: Corey Binger, Omaha
Previous honorees: Feb. 22 – Luke Lind, NDSU; Feb. 29 – Tyler Fox, UNO/Brady Womacks, ORU; March 7 – Nick Wood, ORU; March 14 – Corey Binger, UNO; March 21 – Landon Busch, SDSU; March 28 – Joe Mortillaro, WIU; April 4 – Josh McMinn, ORU/Sam Murphy, UNO; April 11 – Nick Wood, ORU; April 18 – Josh McMinn, ORU; April 25 – Jordan Harms, NDSU/Tyler Fox, UNO; May 2 – Trevor Storie, IPFW/Ian Koch, WIU; May 9 – Tyler Fox, UNO; May 16 – Corey Binger, UNO
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
In its fourth decade of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 75 Academic All-Americans, 65 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. In 2014-15, The Summit League ranked first for NCAA Graduation Success Rate in women's basketball and second in baseball. For more information about the league and to "See The Summit", visit the www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.