Score: (2) North Dakota State 8, (3) South Dakota State 2
Records: North Dakota State (31-24); South Dakota State (26-24)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – No. 2 North Dakota State powered past No. 3 South Dakota State by an 8-2 score behind the pitching of Jordan Harms and hitting of Ben Petersen Friday night in a Summit League Tournament elimination game.
Harms went eight innings, the longest of his career, allowing two runs with four strikeouts. Petersen went 3-for-3, including a double and home run, with three RBI and three runs scored. His two-run homer in the bottom of the fifth gave the Bison a 5-0 lead and his double in the sixth inning put NDSU up 6-0.
NDSU used two hit batters, two walks and single by JT Core to score a pair of runs in the first inning and added another run in the second on three base hits.
The Jackrabbits got on the scoreboard with two runs in the top of the eighth inning as Tony Kjolsing had an RBI double and Luke Ringhofer drove-in a run on ground out.
Harms (4-7) got the win for SDSU, while his counterpart Hunter Even (2-3) got the loss.
North Dakota State set the tone early with a pair of runs in the first inning followed by one in the second to take an early 3-0 lead. The Bison jumped out to an 8-0 lead through six innings en route to the victory.
Inside The Box Score
- South Dakota State used six pitchers in the game compared to just two for North Dakota State.
- Ben Petersen led all players reaching base in all five plate appearances with three hits and a pair of walks.
- The Jackrabbits surrendered 10 walks and hit two batters in the game.
- Attendance was 305.
News & Notes
- North Dakota State has scored in the first inning in all three of its Summit League Tournament games.
- This marks the first time the top two seeds have squared off in the title game since 2011 (Oral Roberts vs. South Dakota State).
- North Dakota State advances to its first title game since winning its only Summit League Tournament championship in 2014 as the No. 4 seed.
- South Dakota State was eliminated in the tournament's second elimination game for the fourth consecutive season.
No. 2 North Dakota State advances to the championship title game against host and top-seeded Oral Roberts. Game time is set for Noon CT from J.L. Johnson Stadium in Tulsa, Okla. South Dakota State ends it season with a 26-24 record.
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.