Team Champion: Denver
Individual Champion: Megan Mingo, South Dakota State
Location: ArborLinks Golf Course – Nebraska City, Neb.
NEBRASKA CITY, Neb. – The Denver Pioneers captured their fourth consecutive Summit League Women's Golf Championship title Tuesday, April 25, at ArborLinks Golf Course in Nebraska City, Neb.
Denver entered the final round down two strokes to runner-up South Dakota State, but a tournament-low round of 293 edged the Pioneers (906) to a six stroke victory over the Jackrabbits (912).
South Dakota State's Megan Mingo becomes the first Jackrabbit to be named Championship MVP after she fired a 54-hole 222. She tied the League's individual tournament record with an opening-round 69, and led the field for all three days before securing her title with a final-round 73.
Last year's Championship MVP, Jessica Carty of Denver, finished in second place with a 54-hole 224.
Denver's Mariell Bruun (73), North Dakota State's Natalie Roth (74), and South Dakota State's Teresa Toscano (75) all tied for third with a 54-hole 227.
News & Notes
- Denver captures its fourth consecutive Summit League title and 14th-straight conference crown
- All five Pioneers finished in the top eight in the tournament
- Denver's Mariell Bruun, North Dakota State's Camryn Roadley, and Western Illinois' Alex Krehbiel recorded the tournament's only three eagles, all coming on day two
- South Dakota State's Megan Mingo, and Denver's Jessica Carty and Sophie Newlove each finished with a tournament high 10 birdies over the three days
- Mingo becomes the first Jackrabbit to be named the Championship MVP, and tied a single-round tournament low with a first round 69
- The Pioneers' 54-hole score (906) ranks fourth in all-time tournament history, while the Jackrabbits' ranks sixth (912)
1. Denver – 906 (296-317-293)
2. South Dakota State – 912 (297-314-301)
3. North Dakota State – 945 (317-317-311)
4. Oral Roberts – 946 (313-325-308)
5. IUPUI – 957 (312-327-318)
6. Western Illinois – 963 (322-325-316)
7. South Dakota – 964 (319-336-309)
8. Omaha – 974 (323-334-317)
9. Fort Wayne – 1,011 (329-348-334)
Mariell Bruun, Denver
Jessica Carty, Denver
Megan Mingo, South Dakota State (Championship MVP)
Natalie Roth, North Dakota State
Teresa Toscano, South Dakota State
Denver awaits its NCAA Regional placement as the Selection Show airs Thursday, April 27 at Noon CT on the Golf Channel.
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.