Team Champion: South Dakota State
Individual Champion: Grant Smith, South Dakota State
Location: Sand Creek Station Golf Course – Newton, Kan.
NEWTON, Kan. – South Dakota State came from behind to capture its second consecutive Summit League Men's Golf Championship Tuesday, at Sand Creek Station Golf Course in Newton, Kan.
Trailing Oral Roberts by six strokes entering the final round, South Dakota State shot a 284 to earn the two-stroke victory.
Grant Smith, the Championship MVP, turned in a 2-under par 214 (71-73-70) to defeat South Dakota's Cody Seal (215) by one stroke.
Oral Roberts' Cody Burrows placed third with an even-par 216 (74-73-69). Joining Smith, Seal and Burrows on the All-Tournament Team were Fort Wayne's Zach Schroeder, IUPUI's Nick Bienz, South Dakota State's Alejandro Restrepo and Western Illinois' Drew Eaton. All four golfers finished in a tie for fourth place with a 54-hole 217.
Eaton, who fired a tournament low round 66, moved up 15 places to earn a spot on the All-Tournament Team. His 66 was tied for the fourth-lowest round in tournament history and was the third-lowest in course history using the Tournament tee markers.
Nick Bienz, IUPUI
Cody Burrows, Oral Roberts
Drew Eaton, Western Illinois
Alejandro Resptrepo, South Dakota State
Zach Schroeder, Fort Wayne
Cody Seal, South Dakota
Grant Smith, South Dakota State (MVP)
News & Notes
- Western Illinois' Drew Eaton's final round 66 is tied for the fourth-lowest tournament round in league history and also third-lowest round in course history on the Tournament tee boxes.
- IUPUI fired a tournament low round of 281 Tuesday.
- Three golfers finished the tournament at even-par or lower for the tournament.
- Hole No. 16 saw the most number of eagles (4) and birdies (44) during the three rounds. One eagle was also recorded on No. 5.
- Oral Roberts' Cody Burrows led all golfers with 12 birdies, while North Dakota State's Will Holmgren had 44 pars.
1. South Dakota State -- 877 (293-300-284)
2. Oral Roberts – 879 (297-289-293)
3. South Dakota – 881 (308-289-284)
4. IUPUI – 883 (300-302-281)
5. North Dakota State – 884 (298-294-292)
6. Denver – 888 (305-296-287)
7. Fort Wayne – 891 (304-302-285)
8. Western Illinois – 898 (307-302-289)
9. Omaha – 903 (313-301-289)
South Dakota State earns The Summit League's automatic berth into the NCAA Regionals which are scheduled to be announced at 11 a.m. CT Thursday (May 4) on Golf Channel and streamed live on the Golf Channel website.
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.