ELMHURST, Ill. – North Dakota State's Emma Groom was named the Summit League Women's Golfer of the Week after carding a 1-under-par 143 score en route to winning the Kansas City Intercollegiate and propelling the Bison to their fourth victory of the season. On the men's side, South Dakota's Tommy Vining earned the league's weekly honor for a top-10 finish at the Tiger Invitational in Columbia, Mo., April 9-10.
For Groom, the victory came in exciting fashion via a one-hole playoff with IUPUI's Aneta Abrahamova. Moving into a tie with Abrahamova following a birdie putt on her third-to-last hole, Groom parred-out her second round and outlasted her opponent in the winner-take-all playoff on the par-4 No. 10.
Groom's two-round tally (72-71—143) is both a career and program best and marked her third-ever top-five collegiate finish. Additionally, the Bison as a team also registered a program-record 36-hole score at 20-over 596 (302-294).
Progression was key for Groom this week on the Creekmoor golf course. After bogeying holes No. 1, 6, 10 and 12 on Monday, the junior from Eden Prairie, Minn., tapped in for par on all four holes Tuesday. She also managed a 5-under score on the par-5's at the tournament, including an eagle and birdie on No. 9.
Vining's performance was equally just as impressive, as the league's reigning Newcomer of the Year played all three rounds at the Tiger Invitational under par. The two-time Golfer of the Month logged back-to-back 71's during the first two rounds before rallying for a 3-under 69 on the final 18—good enough for seventh-place in the 102-golfer field. It was Vining's fourth top-10 finish in 2017-18.
Statistically, Vining was especially opportunistic this week on the par-5 holes and back-9. For the tournament, the junior from Sioux Falls, S.D., was 5-under on the par-5's and sunk 11 of his 12 birdies on the last half of the course.
Emma Groom, NORTH DAKOTA STATE
Jr. // Eden Prairie, Minn.
- Competed at the Kansas City Intercollegiate April 9-10
- Won the individual title via a one-hole playoff on hole No. 10
- Penciled in a career- and program-record 36-hole scorecard (1-under 143)
- First-career victory and helped the Bison to their fourth team win of the season
- Averaged a 71.5 round score this week (76.1 for the season)
- First-career Summit League Golfer of the Week honor
Also Nominated: Linnzie Richner, Fort Wayne // Alex Krehbiel, Western Illinois // Kennedy Ishee, Oral Roberts // Abby Dufrane, South Dakota
Previous Winners: Natalie Roth, North Dakota State – September // Sophie Newlove, Denver – October // Lauren Whyte, Denver – Jan. 31 // Paige Bird, Fort Wayne – Feb. 7 // Abby Dufrane, South Dakota – Feb. 14 // Mary Weinstein, Denver – Feb. 21 // Cassidy Laidlaw, South Dakota State & Lexi Petersen, South Dakota – Feb. 28 // Teresa Toscano, South Dakota State – March 8 // Teresa Toscano, South Dakota State – March 15 // Sydney Bormann, South Dakota State – March 22 // Mary Weinstein, Denver – March 28 // Jenna Kurosky, Fort Wayne (April 4)
Tommy Vining, SOUTH DAKOTA
Jr. // Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Competed at the Missouri Tiger Invitational April 9-10
- Finished seventh among 102 golfers after posting three rounds under par
- For the tournament, turned in a 5-under 211 scorecard (71-71-69)
- Recorded 12 birdies during the 54-hole competition
- Tops in The Summit League with a 72.4 scoring average in 27 rounds played
- Led the Coyotes to a fourth-place team finish in Missouri
- Third-career Summit League Golfer of the Week/Month honor
Also Nominated: Chris Korte, Denver // Cody Burrows, Oral Roberts
Previous Winners: Tommy Vining, South Dakota – September and October // Jacob Michel, South Dakota – Jan. 31 // Drew Eaton, Western Illinois – Feb. 14 // Van Holmgren, North Dakota State – Feb. 21 // Drew Eaton, Western Illinois – Feb. 28 // Eric Brinker, Fort Wayne – March 8 // Chris Korte, Denver – March 15 // Andrew Israelson, North Dakota State – March 22 // Nick Myhre, North Dakota State – March 28 // Mike Biata, Oral Roberts – April 4