Score: No. 3 Oral Roberts 58, No. 6 IUPUI 56
Records: Oral Roberts (18-13), IUPUI (10-21)
Location: Denny Sanford PREMIER Center - Sioux Falls, S.D.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Third seed Oral Roberts advanced to Monday's semifinals with a hard fought 58-56 victory over IUPUI in Sunday's 2015 Summit League men's basketball tournament.
The game was tied 13 times and had 11 lead changes. ORU broke the last tie, at 46, with a pair of free throws by Obi Emegano and the Golden Eagles led the rest of the way, although never by more four and IUPUI was within one point four times. Adrion Webber made three-of-four free throws in the closing six seconds to seal the victory.
ORU, now 18-13, will face North Dakota State in the 8:30 game Monday.
ORU had a balanced offensive effort with Emegano overcoming a 2-for-10 effort from the field to lead the way with 14 points hitting 9-of-10 free throws. Aaron Young and Bobby Word added 10 points each while Denell Henderson and reserve Brandon Conley, who went 4-for-5 from the field, added nine apiece.
Khufu Najee led IUPUI with 15 points. DavRon Williams put up a double-double with 14 points and 16 rebounds.
IUPUI ends its season 10-21.
Sunday's nightcap saw the tournament's closest game as Oral Roberts wasn't able to secure the victory until the final seconds against IUPUI. IUPUI had a chance to tie the game with 2.5 seconds left and down three, but could only convert on a lay-up and then after a free throw by Adrion Webber the game was sealed 58-56.
Inside The Box Score
- The game saw 11 lead changes along with 13 ties as neither team was able to get a lead larger than four points the entire game.
- Khufu Najee of IUPUI was the game's high-scorer with 15 points.
- DavRon Williams (IUPUI) had a double-double with 14 points and 16 rebounds.
- Obi Emegano led the Golden Eagles with 14 points and played all 40 minutes.
News & Notes
- Tonight's session attendance is 6,653, a new record for the second quarterfinal session. Total attendance to date is 16,426, a new quarterfinal round record. The attendance figure currently ranks as the 12th-highest attended men's tournament in league history.
- Oral Roberts won its fourth consecutive Summit League Quarterfinal game, dating back to 2010.
- IUPUI's DavRon Williams tied for the sixth-highest rebound total in a Summit League Tournament game with 16. It was the highest since IUPUI's Christian Siakam in a 2011 quarterfinal against Oral Roberts.
- The two-point victory by Oral Roberts was the closest Summit League Tournament game since Western Illinois defeated South Dakota, 54-53, in the 2013 quarterfinal.
Oral Roberts advances to the semifinals and will face No. 2 North Dakota State Monday night. The semifinal game is scheduled for a 8:30 p.m. CT tip-off and will be televised regionally on Midco Sports Network and nationally on ESPN3.