Score: No. 5 South Dakota 82, No. 4 Fort Wayne 73
Records: Fort Wayne (16-14), South Dakota (17-15)
Location: Denny Sanford PREMIER Center - Sioux Falls, S.D.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – South Dakota advanced to Monday's semifinal clash against South Dakota State with an 82-73 victory over Fort Wayne Sunday at the 2015 Summit League men's basketball tournament in Sioux Falls.
After building a big lead early lead, the Coyotes fought off a second half surge by the Mastodons, who trailed by 21 (38-17) in the first half but closed within six in the closing minute. The Coyotes, now 17-15, finished it at the free throw line.
Senior guard Brandon Bos paced USD with 29 points, hitting five treys and 10-of-11 free throws while also collecting seven rebounds and dishing out five assists. James Hunter added 16 points while Casey Kasperbauer added 12.
IPFW, which was the fourth seed in this 4-5 matchup, had four players in double figures led by Joe Edwards with 16 points. Steve Forbes and Max Landis added 14 each and Mo Evans 13.
IPFW took an early 9-8 lead at the first media time out before the Coyotes conducted a clinic for the rest of the first half, starting with a 12-0 run and sprinting to a 44-23 lead at the break behind the sharpshooting Bos, who made all six of his field goal attempts including four treys enroute to a 19-point half.
As a team, the Yotes shot 63 percent (17/27) for the first half and had a 19-10 rebounding advantage while harassing IPFW into a 36 percent (9/25) performance from the floor.
For the game, USD shot 53 percent (26/49) while IPFW checked in at 42 per cent (25x60) and USD had a 36-29 rebound advantage.
IPFW ends the season 16-14.
It seemed as though it was going to be all South Dakota early on as the Coyotes gathered a 21-point lead with 4:57 to play in the first half. However, Fort Wayne would not give up as they fought back several times throughout the second half including a 21-11 run to begin the second half to cut the deficit to single digits.
Every time South Dakota seemed like they were going to put the game away, the Mastodons responded. It was not until the final 1:10 when IPFW cut the lead to five that the Coyotes put the game away with clutch free throws to secure their 82-73 win.
Inside The Box Score
- Brandon Bos had a career night for South Dakota as he put in a career-best 29 points in the win.
- Fort Wayne had four players score in double figures: Edwards (16), Forbes (14), Landis (14) and Evans (13).
- South Dakota shot 53.1% from the field for the game and 42.1% from behind the three-point line.
- IPFW committed only four turnovers in the game and outscored USD in the paint 32-24.
News & Notes
- South Dakota advanced for the first time in its Summit League Tournament history.
- The No. 5 seed has defeated the No. 4 seed in six of the last eight Summit League Tournament games.
- South Dakota will meet South Dakota State for the first time in Summit League Tournament history Monday night.
- South Dakota's Brandon Bos (29 points) and James Hunter (16 points) eacdh recorded career-high point totals in the win.
- Joe Edwards of IPFW reached his 1,000th career point during the game.
South Dakota advances to the semifinals and will face No. 1 South Dakota State Monday night. The semifinal game is scheduled for a 6 p.m. CT tip-off and will be televised regionally on Midco Sports Network and nationally on ESPN3.