First Half Highlights // Second Half Highlights
Score: No. 1 South Dakota State 78, No. 5 South Dakota 65
Records: South Dakota State (23-9), South Dakota (17-16)
Location: Denny Sanford PREMIER Center - Sioux Falls, S.D.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – South Dakota State jumped off to an early lead and went on to defeat South Dakota 78-65 in the first semifinal game of the 2015 Summit League men's basketball tournament.
Tuesday's title game will tip off at 8 p.m. with the winner getting an auto berth in the NCAA tournament. SDSU takes a 23-9 record into the championship game which will SDSU's third time in the title game in the lastfour years, winning titles in 2012 and 2013.
The Jacks opened the game with a 17-5 run and were up 44-25 at intermission before stretching the margin to 26 at 51-25 on a basket by Jake BIttle with 17:59 to go. SDSU didn't have a field goal over the final four minutes and the Coyotes closed it with a 7-0 run but it was too little too late.
Deondre Parks led SDSU with 21 points, scoring 14 in the opening half. George Marshall added 14.
Tyler Larson led USD with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Trey Norris added 15 points and Brandon Bos 12.
SDSU played a near perfect first half, shooting 54 percent (13-24) including 8-for-13 on treys, and controlling the boards 23-18. USD, meanwhile, shot just 27 percent from the field (8-30) and didn't help themselves at the free throw line, making just 8 of 17 attempts.
For the game, SDSU shot 48 percent (23-48) with 11 three-point baskets. USD checked in at 37 percent (20-54) including 4-for-19 on three-point attempts. SDSU won the rebound battle 37-36. Jake Bittle led the Jacks on the boards with nine.
USD, which defeated SDSU in the final game of the regular season, finished its season 17-16.
The Jackrabbits hit shots early, particularly from three, to build a lead early on in the game. Leading by just two at 7-5 early in the first half, South Dakota State went on a 17-5 spurt over the next five and a half minutes to open up a 14-point margin. The Jacks would have a comfortable lead the rest of the way home and finished with a 78-65 win against South Dakota and a date in Tuesday night's championship game.
Inside The Box Score
- South Dakota State led through the duration of the game.
- Jackrabbits outshot the Coyotes from three, 42.3% (11-26) to 21.1% (4-19).
- South Dakota shot just 60% (21-35) from the free throw line.
- Deondre Park of SDSU was the game's high scrorer with 21 points.
- Tyler Larson of USD had a double-double with 19 points and 10 boards.
News & Notes
- The game marked the first Summit League Tournament meeting between South Dakota and South Dakota State.
- South Dakota State advanced to the league championship game for the third time in the last four years.
- The No. 1 seed reached The Summit League Championship Game fofr the 21st time in the last 22 seasons.
- South Dakota's semifinal appearance was its deepest tournament run in its three years of eligibilty.
South Dakota State advances to the finals and will face the winner of No. 2 North Dakota State and No. 3 Oral Roberts Tuesday night. The final game is scheduled for a 8:00 p.m. CT tip-off and will be televised regionally on Midco Sports Network and nationally on ESPN2.