ELMHURST, Ill. – Western Illinois' Garret Covington and Omaha's Marcus Tyus were tabbed Summit League Men's Basketball Players of the Week for their performances Jan. 3-8.
GARRET COVINGTON, WESTERN ILLINOIS
Sr. // G // Edwardsville, Ill.
- Collected his fourth career Player of the Week honor and first this season
- Averaged 28.0 points, 5.0 assists, 4.5 rebounds and did not commit a turnover in a pair of league victories
- Scored 22 points, dished out seven assists and had two steals in win over South Dakota State
- Tallied 34 points with five rebounds and three assists in victory over Oral Roberts
- Made 12-of-16 shot attempts, including 6-of-8 treys, against the Golden Eagles
- Twice matched his career-high with six treys in each contest
MARCUS TYUS, OMAHA
Sr. // G // Ramsey, Minn.
- Garnered first career Player of the Week honor
- Averaged 29.5 points and 2.5 steals during the week
- Scored 25 points and had a career-high four steals against Fort Wayne
- Totaled career-high 34 points and shot 8-of-13 from beyond the arc in win at South Dakota State
- Tied school's single-game record for threes (eight) against SDSU
- Shot 69.2 percent from the field during the week
Also nominated: Daniel Amigo, Denver; John Konchar, Fort Wayne; Darell Combs, IUPUI; Khy Kabellis, North Dakota State; Albert Owens, Oral Roberts; Matt Mooney, South Dakota;
Previous recipients: Nov. 14 – Trey Burch-Manning, South Dakota; Nov. 21 – Mo Evans, Fort Wayne; Nov. 28 – Bryson Scott, Fort Wayne; Dec. 5 – Tre'Shawn Thurman, Omaha; Dec. 12 – Dexter Werner, North Dakota State; Dec. 19 – Mike Daum, South Dakota State; Dec. 26 – John Konchar, Fort Wayne; Jan. 3 – Paul Miller, North Dakota State
ABOUT SUMMIT LEAGUE MEN'S BASKETBALL
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League features men's basketball teams from nine member institutions: Denver, Fort Wayne, IUPUI, North Dakota State, Omaha, Oral Roberts, South Dakota, South Dakota State and Western Illinois. In 2015-16, The Summit League finished with an all-time best No. 12 RPI ranking, its fifth consecutive top-20 season, and set season standards for overall and mid-major winning percentage, road and power five victories. Called "March's Best-Kept Secret" by USA Today, The Summit League Basketball Championships again posted record-setting attendance figures and finished eighth among all Division I men's basketball for average session attendance. This season's event returns to the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center in Sioux Falls, S.D., March 4-7, 2017. For more information about the league and to "See The Summit", visit www.thesummitleague.org, follow Summit League Basketball on Twitter @summithoops and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.