ELMHURST, Ill. – South Dakota's Matt Mooney was named Summit League Men's Basketball Player of the Week for his performance Feb. 20-26. The honor marks the final weekly award of the 2016-17 season.
MATT MOONEY, SOUTH DAKOTA
So. // G // Wauconda, Ill.
- Collected his first career Player of the Week honor
- Averaged 21.5 points, 6.0 rebounds while leading his team to a pair of road wins to capture The Summit League title outright for USD's first championship
- Scored 27 points, pulled down eight rebounds and dished out two assists while shooting 60.0 percent from both the floor and three-point range in clinching win at IUPUI
- Totaled 16 points with four rebounds, one assist and one steal in 22 minutes, including a pair of clutch three-pointers in a 14-2 run that put USD in control, in victory at Western Illinois
- Nailed consecutive treys in a 10-0 run that put Coyotes up double-digits in final four minutes and sunk all four free throws in final minute at IUPUI
Also nominated: Brent Calhoun, Fort Wayne; Darell Combs, IUPUI; Paul Miller, North Dakota State; Marcus Tyus, Omaha; Mike Daum, South Dakota State
Previous recipients: Nov. 14 – Trey Burch-Manning, South Dakota; Nov. 21 – Mo Evans, Fort Wayne; Nov. 28 – Bryson Scott, Fort Wayne; Dec. 5 – Tre'Shawn Thurman, Omaha; Dec. 12 – Dexter Werner, North Dakota State; Dec. 19 – Mike Daum, South Dakota State; Dec. 26 – John Konchar, Fort Wayne; Jan. 3 – Paul Miller, North Dakota State; Jan. 9 – Garret Covington, Western Illinois / Marcus Tyus, Omaha; Jan. 17 – Daniel Amigo, Denver; Jan. 23 – Paul Miller, North Dakota State; Jan. 30 – John Konchar, Fort Wayne; Feb. 6 – Mike Daum, South Dakota State; Feb. 13 – Tyler Flack, South Dakota; Feb. 20 – Mike Daum, South Dakota State
ABOUT SUMMIT LEAGUE MEN'S BASKETBALL
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League features men's basketball teams from nine member institutions: Denver, Fort Wayne, IUPUI, North Dakota State, Omaha, Oral Roberts, South Dakota, South Dakota State and Western Illinois. In 2015-16, The Summit League finished with an all-time best No. 12 RPI ranking, its fifth consecutive top-20 season, and set season standards for overall and mid-major winning percentage, road and power five victories. Called "March's Best-Kept Secret" by USA Today, The Summit League Basketball Championships again posted record-setting attendance figures and finished eighth among all Division I men's basketball for average session attendance. This season's event returns to the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center in Sioux Falls, S.D., March 4-7, 2017. For more information about the league and to "See The Summit", visit www.thesummitleague.org, follow Summit League Basketball on Twitter @summithoops and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.