WEEKLY NOTEBOOK: No. 3
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- Thanksgiving Week provides a lot of opportunities for Summit League members to challenge themselves against like opponents, including Oral Roberts and Denver, who are playing in multi-team events where they will play three games in three days. South Dakota, North Dakota State and South Dakota State are coming off similar tournaments as they enter Turkey Week action and six of the team's nine members will be in action on Saturday.
FIVE THINGS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED ...
• Western Illinois' Brandon Gilbeck is good at blocking shots. Entering the week, he led the nation with 21 blocks and had a career-high nine in a 60-58 overtime loss at Eastern Illinois. His 14.0 ppg, 11.0 rpg and 6.5 bpg stat line from his two games last week earned him #SummitMBB Player of the Week honors.
• South Dakota's Trey Burch-Manning has scored 20-plus points in four of five games this season. He had 20 in the Bimini Jam finale when he led the Yotes to a win over UMBC -- the No. 16 seed that upset No. 1 Virginia in the opening round of the 2018 NCAA Tournament.
• Purdue Fort Wayne's John Konchar is the only NCAA Division I players in the history of the game to amass 1,500-plus points, 800-plus rebounds, 300-plus assists and 200-plus steals.
• UND is 2-0 at home to start the season and averaging 108.0 ppg in those victories.
• SDSU's Mike Daum moved into third place on both The Summit League all-time scoring charts and all-time rebounding charts after registering his fifth double-double in a win over UTSA.
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (TV/Streaming) | game times local to site
Tuesday, November 20
South Dakota State vs. UTSA@ 10 a.m.
Concordia (Neb.) at North Dakota (FSN/E3) 7 p.m.
South Carolina State at Purdue Fort Wayne# 7 p.m.
Wednesday, November 21
South Dakota State vs. Colorado State@ 12:30 p.m.
Western Illinois at Tennessee-Martin 6 p.m.
Friday, November 23
Northern Illinois vs. Oral Roberts% 12 p.m.
Denver at Seattle U 12 p.m.
Samford at Purdue Fort Wayne# 7 p.m.
Saturday, November 24
Denver vs. Longwood (Seattle, Wash.) 12 p.m.
Western Illinois at Nebraska 1 p.m.
Montana State at Omaha (BTN+) 1 p.m.
Oral Roberts at Oakland% 2:30 p.m.
North Dakota at Utah Valley 4 p.m.
North Dakota State at East Tennessee State 4 p.m.
Sunday, November 25
Oral Roberts vs. James Madison% 12 p.m.
Denver vs. Fairfield (Seattle, Wash.) 12 p.m.
Purdue Fort Wayne at Cleveland State# 5 p.m.
DAUM-INATING THE PRESEASON WATCH LISTS
South Dakota State senior Mike Daum has found his name on a quartet of illustrious preseason watch lists. He was one of 50 named to the John R. Wooden® Award Watch List, which is college basketball's most prestigious individual award, one of 20 players named to the NABC Division I Player of the Year Watch List, and one of 20 power forwards named to the Karl Malone Watch List, which recognizes the nation's top players at that position. Daum was also named to the watch list for the Lute Olson Award and is anticipated to be on the Oscar Robertson Award Watch List for the second-consecutive season.
THE WAC TAKES SLIGHT EDGE IN CHALLENGE SERIES THANKS TO CBU'S HALF-COURT HEAVE
It didn't take long for the inaugural Summit League/WAC Challenge to get underway as both leagues' preseason favorites picked up wins on opening night of the college basketball season. South Dakota State held off Grand Canyon, who was picked second in the WAC preseason poll, 79-74 while NM State defeated North Dakota State 73-56 later that night to even the series at 1-1. The third matchup in the series proved to be a nailbiter as Cal Baptist stole a 70-69 victory after Milan Acquaah buried a half-court heave to give the Lancers a one-point victory. With the win, CBU gave the WAC a slight 2-1 edge in the series that has six remaining contests. The next three will all be packed into the first day of December when Kansas City plays at Purdue Fort Wayne, CSU Bakersfield plays at South Dakota and Denver plays at Utah Valley.
Noting The Pioneers
• The Pioneers return to the court after an 8-day break for a trio of games in three days in the Emerald City. DU will take on the hosts, Seattle U, in its opener.
• Creighton transfer Ronnie Harrell, Jr., has a pair of double-doubles in his first three games for the Pioneers. Harrell is averaging a double-double on the young season (14.7 ppg/10.0 rpg) and leads DU in both of those categories.
• Senior Joe Rosga is one of the top returning free throw shooters in the country (88.1 career percentage), but has yet to make it to the foul line in three contests.
• Rosga is averaging 12.7 ppg through three contests and shooting 40.9 percent from 3-point range.
Noting The Fighting Hawks
• UND is off to a 3-1 start for just the fourth time since joining the Division I ranks (2008-09). The club's lone loss was a 96-58 setback at No. 10 Kentucky on Wednesday.
• Freshman Filip Rebraca earned his first career start in the 112--58 win over Minnesota Morris, finishing with 10 points and eight rebounds. He currently leads the Fighting Hawks on the glass, pulling down 7.3 rpg.
• A bench player has led UND in scoring in both of the team's home victories this season. Redshirt freshman Aanen Moody had 20 in the win over Northland College, while sophomore Bentiu Panoam and true freshman Elijah Hazekamp paced the Fighting Hawks with 18 a piece in the victory over Minnesota Morris.
• The Fighting Hawks are averaging 108.0 ppg in their two home victories this season.
Noting The Bison
• After opening the Islands of Bahamas Showcase with a pair of tough losses, the Bison rebounded with an emphatic 76-51 victory over Towson from the Colonial Athletic Association.
• Redshirt freshman Tyree Eady led the Bison in scoring with 14 points in what was his first career start.
• Sophomore Rocky Kreuser pulled down 10 boards to register the first double-digit rebound game of his career.
• Through five games, Junior Tyson Ward is leading NDSU in scoring (11.4 ppg) and rebounding (5.2 rpg).
• The Bison will be crisscrossing the country later this week, playing at East Tennessee State on Nov. 24 before flying to Spokane, Wash., to take on No. 3 Gonzaga on Nov. 26.
Noting The Mavericks
• After suffering a 10-point home loss to Northern Arizona, the Mavs responded by going wire-to-wire with Pac-12 member Colorado before the Buffaloes pulled out a 79-75 victory.
• Senior Zach Jackson scored 17 points in both of last week's contests for the Mavs, who return to action at Bethune-Cookman on Nov. 20.
• Jackson (19.5 ppg) is among three Omaha players averaging double figures in the early going. He is joined on that list by Mitch Hahn (11.0 ppg) and J.T. Gibson (11.0 ppg).
• Jackson became the 39th player in program history to eclipse the 1,000-point plateau in the season-opener at Minnesota (Nov. 6).
• Gibson had a season-best 18 points in the loss at Colorado and tied his career-high with six rebounds.
Noting The Golden Eagles
• The Golden Eagles snapped a four-game skid with a 109-72 victory over Ecclesia.
• Freshman Francis Lacis recorded his first career double-double after registering career-highs in points (11) and rebounds (17). The Latvia native has scored only eight combined points in his first four collegiate contests.
• Fellow rookie DeShang Weaver led the Golden Eagles with 23 points and, like Lacis, surpassed his scoring output of 17 points in his first five career games.
• Lacis and Weaver were two of four Golden Eagles to score double digits off the bench.|
• ORU will begin a stretch of three games in three days against Northern Illinois on Nov. 23 at the Men Against Breast Cancer Classic.
Noting The Mastodons
• According to sports-reference.com, since 1992-93, senior John Konchar is only the third player in all of NCAA Division I men's basketball to reach 1,500 points, 900 rebounds, 400 assists and 200 steals in a career. Kyle Collinsworth (BYU, 2010-16) and Terrence Williams (Louisville, 2005-09) are the other two.
• The Mastodons and Konchar return home to take on South Carolina State on Tuesday.
• In their last outing, Purdue Fort Wayne led Dayton by five at the break, but the Flyers were able to register the come-from-behind win 91-80.
• Konchar had 11 points and eight assists -- the eighth time in his career he has tossed out eight or more assists in a contest.
• Senior guard Kason Harrell scored a season-high 20 points against the Flyers and has reached double figures in all five games so far.
Noting The Coyotes
• The Coyotes salvaged a win down at the inaugural Bimini Jam, defeating UMBC -- who last season was the first 16-seed to beat a No. 1 seed (Virginia) in the NCAA Tournament, 56-52.
• Senior Trey Burch-Manning hit the 20-point plateau for the fourth time in five games this season to pace the Coyotes in the victory.
• Burch-Manning is shooting an absurd 13-for-18 from beyond the arc to start the season (72.2 percent).
• Triston Simpson added nine points, failing to reach double figures for the first time after setting a pair of career-highs in points earlier in the season (23 vs. York, 24 vs. Northern Arizona).
• USD will take an 8-day break before returning to action at Baylor on Nov. 27.
• Brandon Armstrong has also been impressive from 3-point land to start the season. He has made 11-of-23 attempts (47.8 percent).
Noting The Jackrabbits
• Senior Mike Daum helped the Jacks snap a mini two-game losing skid by dropping 41 points in a 99-79 victory over UTSA in the second round of the Gulf Coast Showcase.
• Daum moved into third place on the Summit League's all-time scoring charts with his season-high effort and moved past Nate Wolters to claim the top spot on SDSU's all-time scoring charts.
• The All-American forward also added 10 rebounds to post his league-leading fifth double-double of the season.
• Skyler Flatten added 28 points in the win over the Roadrunners, going 10-for-11 from the field, including a 6-for-6 effort from beyond the arc.
Noting The Leathernecks
• The Leathernecks will look to bounce back from a 60-58 overtime loss to in-state foe Eastern Illinois when they return to action at Tennessee-Martin on Nov. 21. The game against the Skyhawks is the second in a three-game road trip that concludes at Nebraska on Nov. 24.
• Senior Brandon Gilbeck earned his first career Player of the Week honor after averaging 14.0 ppg, 11.0 rpg and 6.5 bpg in two games last week. Gilbeck delived a nine-point, 19-rebound and nine-block effort in the loss to the Panthers.
• Both his block and rebound-totals were career-highs and he entered the week leading the nation in total blocks (21) and blocks per game (5.3). He also reached the 200-block plateau for his career becoming just the fourth player in Summit League history to do so.
• Sophomore Kobe Webster has been WIU's offensive catalyst early in the season, averaging 18.5 ppg and reaching double figures in all five contests.
July 17, 2019 Ten Summit League players land on NABC Honors Court
June 21, 2019 Konchar set to ink two-way deal with Memphis Grizzlies
May 30, 2019 Sather named UND head men's basketball coach
April 4, 2019 #SummitMBB players set to embark on Minneapolis
April 3, 2019 Five first-timers make up #SummitMBB All-Academic Team
March 27, 2019 Henderson takes reins of Jackrabbits
March 26, 2019 Daum collects NABC All-America honors
March 23, 2019 Duke bounces Bison from Big Dance thanks to big second half
March 20, 2019 SDSU's comeback effort falls short in Texas
March 20, 2019 Bison get Duke next after First Four win in Dayton
March 19, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: Postseason Edition
March 18, 2019 Daum garners USBWA Third Team All-America honors
March 12, 2019 Fourth-seeded Bison punch ticket to Big Dance
March 11, 2019 Hahn's late shot lifts Omaha to finals
March 9, 2019 Leathernecks stun Jacks, move onto semis
March 9, 2019 Mavs move on to semis after holding off Fighting Hawks
March 7, 2019 Horizon League‐Summit League Showdown to start in 2020
March 6, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: Championship Edition
March 5, 2019 Daum, Holscher earn February Athlete of the Month honors
March 4, 2019 Hahn, Seales share final #SummitMBB weekly accolade
March 1, 2019 LIVE COVERAGE: 2019 Basketball Championships
February 26, 2019 Daum named USBWA Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week
February 26, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 17
February 25, 2019 Daum sets record with eighth weekly honor of the season
February 21, 2019 Pile, Webster named to Google Cloud Academic All-District Teams
February 19, 2019 Basketball Championships: Single-session tickets go on sale Feb. 26
February 19, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 16
February 12, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 15
February 11, 2019 Gilbeck, Obanor share weekly #SummitMBB honor
February 6, 2019 Daum among 10 male finalists for Senior CLASS Award®
February 5, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 14
February 4, 2019 Konchar collects third weekly honor of the season
January 29, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 13
January 28, 2019 Daum ties single-season league record with seventh weekly honor
January 22, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 12
January 21, 2019 Daum garners sixth #SummitMBB weekly honor of the season
January 15, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 11
January 14, 2019 Umude grabs his first #SummitMBB Player of the Week award
January 8, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 10
January 7, 2019 Nzekwesi secures #SummitMBB Player of the Week award
January 1, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 9
December 31, 2018 Konchar nets second straight Player of the Week honor
December 28, 2018 UND, NDSU home men’s basketball games postponed
December 27, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 8
December 23, 2018 1,000-rebound duo shares #SummitMBB weekly honor
December 18, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 7
December 17, 2018 Hahn, Kelley share #SummitMBB Player of the Week accolade
December 11, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 6
December 10, 2018 Daum ties #SummitMBB record with 15th Player of the Week award
December 6, 2018 Veteran duo dominates in November to earn monthly accolades
December 4, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 5
December 3, 2018 Daum secures third Player of the Week award of the season
November 27, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 4
November 26, 2018 Daum, Jackson share Player of the Week award
November 20, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 3
November 19, 2018 Gilbeck corrals his first #SummitMBB Player of the Week award
November 13, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 2
November 12, 2018 Daum nets 12th career #SummitMBB Player of the Week accolade
November 6, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 1
October 19, 2018 2018-19 Basketball Media Day
October 16, 2018 Summit League and WAC announce Men's Basketball Challenge series
October 4, 2018 South Dakota State picked to repeat as Summit League Champs
September 27, 2018 Basketball Media Day set for Oct. 22 in Sioux Falls
July 26, 2018 Summit League Announces 2018-19 MBB and WBB Schedules
July 25, 2018 Flack Signs Pro Deal Overseas