ELMHURST, Ill. – Fort Wayne midfielder Jacob Murphy and Omaha forward Fazlo Alihodzic were named Summit League Men's Soccer Offensive Players of the Week, while Denver defender Sam Hamilton garnered the Defensive Player of the Week award for their performances, Sept. 26-Oct. 2.
JACOB MURPHY, FORT WAYNE
Sr. // M // Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Earned his first career Offensive Player of the Week honor
- Scored a pair of goals for four points in Fort Wayne's 3-1 win over Oral Roberts
- His first goal, the game-winner, came in the 53rd minute and followed with an insurance goal in the 83rd minute
- The Mastodons' six wins this season is one more than all of last season
FAZLO ALIHODZIC, OMAHA
Sr. // F // St. Louis, Mo.
- Collected his second career Offensive Player of the Week award and first of the season
- Played a part in all three Maverick goals in a 3-1 victory over IUPUI
- Set up the first UNO goal off a corner kick in the 11th minute and lofted a free kick into the box that teammate Jacob Weiler headed home for his second assist of the match in the 52nd minute
- Tallied the eventual game-winner in the 18th minute on a converted penalty kick
Also nominated: Ryan Schaefer, Denver; Joshua Ayala, IUPUI; Santiago Riveros, Oral Roberts
Previous honorees: Aug. 29 – Santiago Riveros, ORU; Sept. 6 – Fazlo Alihodzic, UNO; Sept. 12 – Thilo Korperich, IPFW; Sept. 19 – Jacob Bevan, WIU; Sept. 26 – Santiago Riveros, ORU
SAM HAMILTON, DENVER
Sr. // D // Evergreen, Colo.
- Received his first career Defensive Player of the Week honor
- Part of a defensive unit that allowed just one shot in a 1-0 shutout over Eastern Illinois
- Helped the eighth-ranked Pioneers to their sixth cleansheet of the season
Also nominated: Mike Novotny, Eastern Illinois; Josh Gray, IUPUI; Jacob Weiler, Omaha; Parker Johnson, Oral Roberts
Previous honorees: Aug. 29 – Reagan Dunk, DU; Sept. 6 – Joseph Ghitis, UNO/Kortne Ford, DU; Sept. 12 – Tim Hansen, WIU; Sept. 19 – Kortne Ford, DU; Sept. 26 – Jacob Weiler, UNO
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.