ELMHURST, Ill. – Omaha forward Fazlo Alihodzic was named Summit League Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week, while teammate goalkeeper Joseph Ghitis and Denver defender AJ Fuller garnered the Defensive Player of the Week awards for their performances, Oct. 3-9.
FAZLO ALIHODZIC, OMAHA
Sr. // F // St. Louis, Mo.
- Collected his fourth career Offensive Player of the Week award and third this season
- Scored the game-winning goal in Omaha's 2-0 win over league foe Eastern Illinois
- The goal was his sixth of the season and second game-winner on the year
- Tied for first in the league with 16 points and his six goals are tied for second
Also nominated: Jacob Murphy, Fort Wayne; Tyler Lacourse, Oral Roberts; Daniel Collins, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Aug. 29 – Santiago Riveros, ORU; Sept. 6 – Fazlo Alihodzic, UNO; Sept. 12 – Thilo Korperich, IPFW; Sept. 19 – Jacob Bevan, WIU; Sept. 26 – Santiago Riveros, ORU; Oct. 3 – Jacob Murphy, IPFW/Fazlo Alihodzic, UNO
AJ FULLER, DENVER
Jr. // D // Littleton, Colo.
- Recorded his first career Defensive Player of the Week award
- Part of a Denver defensive unit that allowed just four total shots and none on goal in a 1-0 win at IUPUI
- Added the game-winning goal, the first of his career, on his only shot of the match in the 29th minute
JOSEPH GHITIS, OMAHA
Jr. // GK // Weston, Fla.
- Earned his fourth career Defensive Player of the Week honor and second on the year
- Recorded a shutout victory in Omaha's 2-0 win over Eastern Illinois
- Had a perfect save percentage and goals against average while collecting four saves
- The shutout was the eighth of his career, setting a new school record while the win extended his school record mark to 13
Also nominated: Jorge Trujillo, Fort Wayne; Josh Gray, IUPUI; Tarik Nicholls, Oral Roberts; Jacob Bjornsen, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Aug. 29 – Reagan Dunk, DU; Sept. 6 – Joseph Ghitis, UNO/Kortne Ford, DU; Sept. 12 – Tim Hansen, WIU; Sept. 19 – Kortne Ford, DU; Sept. 26 – Jacob Weiler, UNO; Oct. 3 – Sam Hamilton, DU
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.