ELMHURST, Ill. – Fort Wayne midfielder Matthew Lieshout was named Summit League Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week, while Eastern Illinois goalkeeper Mike Novotny garnered the Defensive Player of the Week award for their performances, Oct. 24-30.
MATTHEW LIESHOUT, FORT WAYNE
So. // MF // Auckland, New Zealand
- Earned his first career Offensive Player of the Week award
- Helped lead Fort Wayne to a pair of victories last week over Bowling Green (2-1) and IUPUI (3-2, 2OT)
- Scored the game-tying goal in the 57th minute against the Jaguars and then assisted on Cam Sinclair's game-winning goal in the 102nd minute
- For the week, totaled three points (one goal, one assist) with four shots and one being on goal
Also nominated: Alex Castaneda, Eastern Illinois; Pape Ndiaye, IUPUI
Previous honorees: Aug. 29 – Santiago Riveros, ORU; Sept. 6 – Fazlo Alihodzic, UNO; Sept. 12 – Thilo Korperich, IPFW; Sept. 19 – Jacob Bevan, WIU; Sept. 26 – Santiago Riveros, ORU; Oct. 3 – Jacob Murphy, IPFW/Fazlo Alihodzic, UNO; Oct. 10 – Fazlo Alihodzic, UNO; Oct. 17 – Blake Elder, DU; Oct. 24 – Emmanuel Hamzat, UNO
MIKE NOVOTNY, EASTERN ILLINOIS
Jr. // GK // St. Charles, Ill.
- Collected his fourth career Defensive Player of the Week honor and second straight this season
- Recorded his third consecutive shutout victory in the 2-0 win over in-state rival Western Illinois
- Had six total saves in the 90-minute match
Also nominated: James Bannon-Schneebeck, Denver; Ben Thornton, IUPUI; Joseph Ghitis, Omaha
Previous honorees: Aug. 29 – Reagan Dunk, DU; Sept. 6 – Joseph Ghitis, UNO/Kortne Ford, DU; Sept. 12 – Tim Hansen, WIU; Sept. 19 – Kortne Ford, DU; Sept. 26 – Jacob Weiler, UNO; Oct. 3 – Sam Hamilton, DU; Oct. 10 – AJ Fuller, DU/Joseph Ghitis, UNO; Oct. 17 – Reagan Dunk, DU; Oct. 24 – Mike Novotny, EIU/Joseph Ghitis, UNO
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.