ELMHURST, Ill. – Omaha forward Elvir Ibisevic was named Summit League Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week, while Eastern Illinois goalkeeper Mike Novotny garnered the Defensive Player of the Week award for their performances Aug. 28-Sept. 3.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Elvir Ibisevic, Omaha
So. // F // Johnston, Iowa
- Earned his second Offensive Player of the Week honor of his career and this season
- Scored the game-winning goal in a 1-0 win vs. Houston Baptist at the UTRGV Invitational in the 14th minute
- Registered one shot on goal against host UTRGV in a 1-0 win
- Named Offensive MVP of the UTGRV Invitational
Also nominated: Alex Underwood, Denver; Federico Verlicchi, Eastern Illinois; Fernando Pacheco, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Aug. 28 – Elvir Ibisevic, Omaha
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Mike Novotny, Eastern Illinois
Sr. // GK // St. Charles, Ill.
- Earned his fifth career Defensive Player of the Week accolade
- Made 16 saves in a 0-0 double overtime draw against Western Michigan with six coming in the two overtime periods
- Had seven stops in a 1-0 win at UIC
- For the week, stopped all 23 shots on goal attempts to register a pair of shutouts in 200 minutes in net
Also nominated: Graham Smith, Denver; Joseph Ghitis, Omaha
Previous honorees: Aug. 28 – Dan Mooney, Denver/Stephen Siy, Omaha
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.