ELMHURST, Ill. – Drake's Ben Clark was named Summit League Men's Tennis Player of the Week for his performance through Jan. 22. The honor marks the initial weekly award of the season.
BEN CLARK, DRAKE
Jr. // Comberton, England
- Collected first career Player of the Week award and first for new affiliate member Drake
- Posted a trio of singles victories at No. 3 over Tennessee Tech, Northern Illinois and Western Michigan
- Topped TTU's Wenceslao Abin (6-3, 7-5) and NIU's Kristopher Ortega (6-2, 7-6) in straight sets and rallied to best WMU's Lenard Haupt (4-6, 7-5, 7-6)
- Teamed with Ben Wood for No. 2 doubles wins over NIU (6-3) and WMU (7-5)
- Helped team start 3-0 and was lone Bulldog to notch a 3-0 singles mark
Also nominated: Pedro Fernandez Del Valle, Denver; Abdoul Ouattara, Omaha; Alvaro Santamaria, Oral Roberts
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.