ELMHURST, Ill. – Drake's Tom Hands was named Summit League Men's Tennis Player of the Week for his performance Feb. 27-March 5.
TOM HANDS, DRAKE
Jr. // Fulbourn, England
- Garnered his second career Summit League Player of the Week award
- Combined for a 4-0 singles and doubles record, including a pair of straight-set singles wins over Big Ten opponents\
- Defeated Indiana's Antonio Cambellin (4 and 4) and Purdue's Stephan Koeningsfest (3 and 4) at No. 2 singles
- Combined for a 6-3 doubles win over Indiana and a 7-6 triumph against Purdue
- Helped team to a 4-3 victory over Indiana
- Owns an 11-4 singles record and 12-5 doubles mark this season
Also nominated: Matt Summers, Denver
Previous recipients: Jan. 23 – Ben Clark, Drake; Jan. 30 – Vinny Gillespie, Drake; Feb. 6 – Razvan Grigorescu, Omaha; Feb. 13 – Finley Hall, Drake; Feb. 20 – Tom Hands, Drake; Feb. 27 – Igor Kolaric, Illinois State
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.