ELMHURST, Ill. – Western Illinois outfielder Aly Compton was named Summit League Player of the Week while teammate Emily Ira earned the league Pitcher of the Week award for their performances during the week of April 3-9.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
ALY COMPTON, WESTERN ILLINOIS
So. // OF // Noblesville, Ind.
- Named Summit League Player of the Week for the first time in her career and season
- Recorded .636 (7-for-11) average over the weekend with a .636 on-base percentage and .909 slugging percentage
- Drove in two runs with one home run in three games while scoring three times
- Went 4-for-4 with one home run, scoring two runs in final game of the series against Fort Wayne
- Had a 1.000 fielding percentage with five putouts
Also nominated: Sierra Miranda, Fort Wayne; Delaney Thompson, IUPUI; Stephanie Soriano, North Dakota State; Jamie Holscher, South Dakota;
Previous honorees: Feb. 13 – Brittney Morse, South Dakota State; Feb. 20 – Kelly Pattison, Omaha; Feb. 27 – Shelby Keil, South Dakota; Mar. 5 – Maggie Good, IUPUI; Mar. 13 – Ali Herdliska, South Dakota State; Mar. 20 – Caitlyn DeLong, Fort Wayne; Mar. 27 – Kayla Fields, South Dakota; April 3 – Vanessa Anderson, North Dakota State
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
EMILY IRA, WESTERN ILLINOIS
So. // P // Iowa City, Iowa
- Earned her third Summit League Pitcher of the Week award this season and fourth in her career
- Picked up two wins over Fort Wayne, tossing two complete games
- Surrendered eight base-hits in 14 innings, finished the weekend with an ERA of 0.50 and tallied 19 strikeouts and no walks
- Leads the league in overall ERA (2.25), second in strike outs (154) and tied for third in wins (8)
Also nominated: Darby Shaw, Fort Wayne; Erica Tharp, IUPUI; Laura Roecker, Omaha; Rachel Cue, South Dakota
Previous honorees: Feb. 13 – Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State; Feb. 20 - Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State; Feb. 27 – Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State; Mar. 5 – Laura Roecker, Omaha; Mar. 13 – Emily Ira, Western Illinois; Mar. 20 – Erica Tharp, IUPUI ; Mar. 27 – Nickole Finch, IUPUI; April 3 – Megan Green, South Dakota/Emily Ira, Western Illinois
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.