ELMHURST, Ill. – Omaha third basemen Vicky Kinney was named Summit League Player of the Week while Western Illinois pitcher Emily Ira earned the league Pitcher of the Week award for their performances during the week of April 18-23.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
VICKY KINNEY, OMAHA
Fr. // 3B // Omaha, Neb.
- Named Summit League Player of the Week for the first time in her career and season
- Recorded .667 (10-for-15) average during the week with a .688 on-base percentage and 1.133 slugging percentage
- Hit .727 (8-for-11) during league play with a .750 on-base percentage and 1.273 slugging percentage
- Drove in seven runs with one double and two home runs in four games while scoring four times
- Recorded two or more hits in all four games
- Currently leads the league in batting average (.500), on-base percentage (.538) and slugging percentage (.917) in league play
Also nominated: Maggie Good, IUPUI; Montana DeCamp, North Dakota State; Kayla Fields, South Dakota; Hailey Duwa, Western Illinois
Previous honorees: Feb. 13 – Brittney Morse, South Dakota State; Feb. 20 – Kelly Pattison, Omaha; Feb. 27 – Shelby Keil, South Dakota; Mar. 5 – Maggie Good, IUPUI; Mar. 13 – Ali Herdliska, South Dakota State; Mar. 20 – Caitlyn DeLong, Fort Wayne; Mar. 27 – Kayla Fields, South Dakota; April 3 – Vanessa Anderson, North Dakota State; April 10 – Aly Compton, Western Illinois; April 17 – Ali Herdliska, South Dakota State
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
EMILY IRA, WESTERN ILLINOIS
So. // P // Iowa City, Iowa
- Earned her fourth Summit League Pitcher of the Week award this season and fifth in her career
- Picked up 1-0 shutout victory over North Dakota State on Saturday
- Surrendered 10 base-hits in 14 innings, finished the weekend with an ERA of 2.00 and tallied 20 strikeouts and no walks
- Leads the league in overall ERA (2.45), second in strike outs (189) and tied for second in wins (10)
Also nominated: Darby Shaw, Fort Wayne; Nickole Finch, IUPUI; Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State; Laura Roecker, Omaha
Previous honorees: Feb. 13 – Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State; Feb. 20 - Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State; Feb. 27 – Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State; Mar. 5 – Laura Roecker, Omaha; Mar. 13 – Emily Ira, Western Illinois; Mar. 20 – Erica Tharp, IUPUI ; Mar. 27 – Nickole Finch, IUPUI; April 3 – Megan Green, South Dakota/Emily Ira, Western Illinois; April 10 – Emily Ira, Western Illinois; April 17 – Rachel Cue, South Dakota
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.