ELMHURST, Ill. – Fort Wayne infielder Demitra Burns collected her first-career Summit League Player of the Week award, while teammate pitcher Bailey Benefiel secured the league's Pitcher of the Week title for the third time this season. The two earned the awards for their performances during the week of April 9 – April 15.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
DEMITRA BURNS, FORT WAYNE
Sr. // 1B/DP // Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Earned her first-career Player of the Week accolade
- Hit .667 with an on-base percentage of .667 and a slugging percentage of 1.000
- In league play, hit .833 with an on-base percentage of .833 and a slugging percentage of 1.333
- In two games against South Dakota, went 5-for-6 with a home run and three RBI
- Knocked in a two-run homer in the first game against the Coyotes
- Her RBI single in the bottom of the seventh in the first contest tied the game to send it to extra innings, where the Mastodons would eventually emerge victorious (7-6)
- Recorded a perfect fielding percentage in 21 chances for the week
Also nominated: Taylor Steinfeldt, South Dakota; Brittney Morse, South Dakota State
Previous recipients: Feb. 12 – Alyssa Fernandez, South Dakota; Feb. 19 – Alyssa Fernandez, South Dakota; Feb. 26 – Baily Janssen, South Dakota State; March 5 – Jessica Rogers, South Dakota; March 12 – Kelly Pattison, Omaha; March 19 – Jessica Rogers, South Dakota; March 26 – Jessica Rogers, South Dakota; April 2 – Kelsey Marlow, Western Illinois; April 9 – Brittney Morse, South Dakota State
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
BAILEY BENEFIEL, FORT WAYNE
Sr. // P // Pendleton, Ind.
- Collected her third-career Pitcher of the Week honor, third this season
- Went 1-1 on the week, including a complete game victory over league-foe South Dakota
- Struck out seven in 13.2 innings pitched with a 3.59 ERA
- Ranks second in the league in ERA (3.15), third in strikeouts (111) and third in wins (10)
Also nominated: Dustie Durham, South Dakota
Previous recipients: Feb. 12 – Bailey Benefiel, Fort Wayne; Feb. 19 – Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State; Feb. 26 – Emily Ira, Western Illinois; March 5 – Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State; March 12 – Madison Hope, South Dakota State; March 19 – Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State; March 26 – Madison Hope, South Dakota State; April 2 – Bailey Benefiel, Fort Wayne; April 9 – Jacquelyn Sertic, North Dakota State and Emily Ira, Western Illinois
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.