ELMHURST, Ill. – Western Illinois's Erica Hagen was tabbed The Summit League Women's Swimmer of the Week for the first time in her career, while Eastern Illinois's Matt Jacobs earned his second career Men's Swimmer of the Week honor. Both posted league-leading times in their respective events at the House of Champions.
WOMEN'S SWIMMER OF THE WEEK
ERICA HAGEN, WESTERN ILLINOIS
Jr. // Lisle, Ill.
- Named Summit League Swimmer of the Week for the first time in her career
- First Western Illinois Women's Swimmer of the Week since Dec. 18, 2012 (Megan Popp)
- Broke the school record in both the 100 and 200 breast at the House of Champions
- Finished first in the 100 breast with a program-best time of 1:03.33
- Clocked 2:21.55 in the 200 breast, which ranks sixth in the league
Also nominated: Richelle Bruyckere, South Dakota State; Lauren Oostman, Eastern Illinois
Previous recipients: Oct. 10 – Sabrina Sabadeanu, South Dakota; Oct. 17 – Heidi Bradley, Denver; Oct. 24 – Morgan McCormick, Denver; Oct. 31 – Maddie Myers, Denver; Nov. 7 – Morgan Holt, South Dakota; Nov. 14 – Sabrina Sabadeanu, South Dakota
MEN'S SWIMMER OF THE WEEK
MATT JACOBS, EASTERN ILLINOIS
Sr. // Ottawa, Ill.
- Collected his second career Swimmer of the Week award and first of the season
- Clocked 56.3 (0.3 seconds off his program-best time) in the 100 breast, which ranks first in the league
- Finished 17th in the 200 breast with a time of 2:05.60, which is also the fastest in the league
Also nominated: Cody Watkins, South Dakota State; Brennan Bladel, Western Illinois
Previous recipients: Oct. 10 – Dylan Kirar, Valparaiso; Oct. 17 – Sid Farber, Denver; Oct. 24 – Stephen Calkins, Denver; Oct. 31 – Colin Gilbert, Denver; Nov. 7 – Hunter Padgett, South Dakota; Nov. 14 – Hunter Padgett, South Dakota
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.