ELMHURST, Ill. – South Dakota's Chris Nilsen was named The Summit League Men's Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week, while North Dakota State's Taylor Janssen earned Women's Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week award for their performances during the week of April 11-17.
CHRIS NILSEN, SOUTH DAKOTA
Fr. // Kansas City, Mo.
- Earned his second Summit League Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week award on the season
- Ranks first in the nation and the League after winning the pole vault with a height of 18' 8.25"(5.70m) at both the Pacific Coast Intercollegiate and the Beach Invitational
- His pole vault mark is tied for third in the world and reached the IAAF World Qualifying standard
Also nominated: Robert Murphy, IUPUI; Omeiza Akerele, Oral Roberts; Matti Mortimore, North Dakota State; Kyle Burdick, South Dakota State; Malachi Adams, Western Illinois
Previous Honorees: March 21 – Matti Mortimore, North Dakota Stata; Chris Nilsen, South Dakota; March 28 – Ryan Enerson, North Dakota State; April 4 – Matti Mortimore, North Dakota State; April 11 – Alex Renner, North Dakota State
TAYLOR JANSSEN, NORTH DAKOTA STATE
Sr. // Moorhead, Minn.
- Received her first career Summit League Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week accolade
- Placed ninth, and third among DI competitors, in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a personal-best time of 10:10.14 at the Mt. SAC Relays
- Her time ranks 11th in the nation and first in The Summit League this season
Also Nominated: Olivia Coleman, Fort Wayne; Allie Wright, IUPUI; McKayla Roberts, Oral Roberts; Danielle Waldner, South Dakota; Rachel King, South Dakota State; Jasmine Brown, Western Illinois
Previous Honorees: March 21 – Katelyn Weimerskirch, North Dakota State; Danielle Waldner, South Dakota; March 28 – Rose Jackson, North Dakota State; April 4 – Emily Grove, South Dakota; April 11 – Alyssa Olin, North Dakota State
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.