ELMHURST, Ill. – South Dakota's Chris Nilsen was named The Summit League Men's Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week, while teammate Emily Grove earned Women's Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week award for their performances during the week of April 18-24.
CHRIS NILSEN, SOUTH DAKOTA
Fr. // Kansas City, Mo.
- Earned his third Summit League Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week award on the season
- Ranks first in the nation and the League after winning the pole vault with a height of 18' 9.5" (5.73m) at the Sioux City Relays
- His pole vault mark is third in the world and reached the IAAF World Qualifying standard
Also nominated: Robert Murphy, IUPUI; Steffan Stron, North Dakota State; Josh Kirby, Western Illinois
Previous Honorees: March 21 – Matti Mortimore, North Dakota Stata; Chris Nilsen, South Dakota; March 28 – Ryan Enerson, North Dakota State; April 4 – Matti Mortimore, North Dakota State; April 11 – Alex Renner, North Dakota State; April 18 – Chris Nilsen, South Dakota
EMILY GROVE, SOUTH DAKOTA
Sr. // Pontiac, Ill.
- Earned her second Summit League Outdoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week award on the season
- Placed first in the pole vault clearing a League-leading height of 15' 1" (4.59m) at the Sioux City Relays
- Her pole vault mark ranks fifth in the world, first in the nation
- Became just the ninth collegiate women's pole vaulter in history to clear the 15-foot barrier
Also Nominated: Lexi O'Connell, Fort Wayne; Amairany Cruz, IUPUI; Mercy Abire, Oral Roberts; Katelyn Weimerskirch, North Dakota State; Alyssa Johnson, Western Illinois
Previous Honorees: March 21 – Katelyn Weimerskirch, North Dakota State; Danielle Waldner, South Dakota; March 28 – Rose Jackson, North Dakota State; April 4 – Emily Grove, South Dakota; April 11 – Alyssa Olin, North Dakota State; April 18 – Taylor Janssen, North Dakota State
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.