Score: No. 1 South Dakota 69, No. 5 IUPUI 58
Records: South Dakota (25-6), IUPUI (15-16)
Location: Denny Sanford PREMIER Center - Sioux Falls, S.D.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Top seed South Dakota earned its third straight trip to the championship game of the Summit League women's basketball tournament with a 69-58 victory over IUPUI Monday afternoon at the Denny Sanford Premier Center.
The defending champion Coyotes improved to 25-6 for the season while IUPUI dropped to 15-16.
USD led 25-19 at the half, pushed the margin to 38-27 before IUPUI rallied to close within 40-37 before the Coyotes went on a 10-0 run featuring back-to-back three pointers by Kelly Stewart and Nicole Seekamp, but off assists by Raeshel Contreras.
A Contreras trey with 5:11 to play pushed the margin to 62-44.
Seekamp hit 9-of-15 field goal attempts including 4-of-5 threes to lead the Coyotes with 23 points while Contreras had 11 points with seven assists and Tia Hemiller scored 11.
IUPUI had three players - Shaquira Scott, Jenna Gunn and Nevena Markovic - with 11 points each.
USD shot 44 percent from the field (27-61) hitting 11 threes on 22 attempts. The Coyotes also had a 41-29 rebounding advantage led by Margaret McCloud, who combined eight boards with eight assists. IUPUI shot just 35 percent (18-51).
IUPUI threatened the Coyotes' lead multiple times Monday, but every time the Jaguars got close, Nicole Seekamp had the answer. She sparked three separate Coyote runs, the final coming halfway through the second half. IUPUI crawled to within three at 40-37 with 10:31 in the ball game and South Dakota proceeded to run off 10-straight, capped be a Seekamp three-point play. That grew the lead to 13 and the Coyotes took control from there, winning 69-58.
Inside The Box Score
- Nicole Seekamp was the game's high scorer with 23 points, going 4-for-5 from long range.
- IUPUI's bench outscored South Dakota's 22-10.
- Each team scored 26 points in the paint.
- South Dakota shot 50% (11-22) from behind the arc while IUPUI shot 33.3% (4-12).
News & Notes
- Today's contest marked the second time IUPUI and South Dakota have squared off in Summit League Tournament semifinals (2013).
- South Dakota improves to 7-1 all-time in league tournament history.
- South Dakota advances to its third-straight championship game, the second-longest streak of champions appearances in league history.
- IUPUI fell in the semifinal round for the fourth consecutive year.
- South Dakota's Nicole Seekamp's 80 percent (4-of-5) three-point shooting percentage is tied for the fourth-best mark in Summit League Tournament history.
- Seekamp is averaging 20.8 points per game in eight career Summit League Tournament contests.
South Dakota advances to the finals and will face the winner of South Dakota State and Oral Roberts Tuesday. The final game is scheduled for a 1 p.m. CT tip-off and will be televised nationally on ESPNU.