Score: No. 2 South Dakota State 59, No. 3 Oral Roberts 48
Records: South Dakota State (23-8), Oral Roberts (16-15)
Location: Denny Sanford PREMIER Center - Sioux Falls, S.D.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – South Dakota State survived the first individual triple-double in Summit League tourney history to earn a berth in the 2015 championship game with a hard-fought 59-48 victory over Oral Roberts Monday afternoon.
The Jacks, number two seed, will take a 23-8 record into the title game against defending champion and number one seed South Dakota, 25-6, in the 1 p.m. title game Tuesday at the Denny Sanford Premier Center. The teams split during the regular season, each winning at home.
Vicky McIntyre, ORU's 6-7 senior, had the triple-double, combining 20 points, 18 rebounds and 12 blocked shots.
Oral Roberts had a 36-30 lead when SDSU's defense started to take over. ORU went 10 minutes, 14 seconds without a score (17:30 to 7:16), and made just 4-of-15 field goal attempts in the second half, 27 per cent. Meanwhile, SDSU, which shot just 28 percent (10-35) in the first half, finished the game hitting 7 of its last 9 including 6 of its last 7.
For the second game in a row, McIntyre had a double-double by halftime, with 15 points and 12 rebounds, but it was a falling down three-point shot at the buzzer by Atoe' Jackson that left the crowd buzzing and the Golden Eagles with a 32-27 lead at the break.
A three point basket by Kerri Young gave SDSU its first lead of the second half, 39-36, and it was jumper by Alexis Alexander which gave the Jacks the lead for good at 44-42 with 4:40 to play. When Megan Waytashek hit a three-pointer with 1:19 to go, the Jacks were up 57-44.
The Jacks showed good balance offensively. Waytashek led the way with 13 points while freshman Ellie Thompson contributed 12 including a pair of key three-point baskets in the second half.
Dorottya Balla was the only other player in double figures for ORU, with 11 points.
Each team had 42 rebounds but SDSU was plus-16 in turnovers, 22-6.
ORU ends its season 16-15.
Oral Roberts lead South Dakota State 42-39 with 6:11 to play in the ballgame. The Jackrabbits finished the game outscoring ORU 20-6 the rest of the way, including a run of 15 straight points. A run that was aided by the SDSU defense turning to offense, forcing the Golden Eagles into 22 turnovers which translated into 19 Jackrabbit points.
Inside The Box Score
- Vicky McIntyre of Oral Roberts had game highs in points (20), rebounds (18) and blocks (12); her triple-double was her second of the season.
- South Dakota State had two players in double-figure scoring: Megan Waytashek with 13 and Ellie Thompson with 12.
- Oral Roberts turned the ball over 22 times leading to 19 Jackrabbit points.
- South Dakota State outscored ORU in the paint, 32-20, and in bench points, 14-2.
News & Notes
- Attendance of 6,704 sets a women's tournament semifinal record. It ranks second all-time for any session behiind Saturday's 8,171 quartefinal session. The total women's tournament attendance of 17,469 thus far currently ranks as third-highest in league history.
- Vicky McIntyre recorded the first triple-double in league tournament history with 20 points, 18 rebounds and 12 blocked shots. He 12 blocks set a new league tournament single-game record.
- McIntyre's 12 blocks are tied for most in a Division I game this season and tied a Summit League single-game record.
- South Dakota State and Oral Roberts both entered the game with the most tournament titles in league history with five apiece. South Dakota State has advanced to the championship game for the sixth time in the last seven years.
- South Dakota State improved to 3-0 against Oral Roberts this season.
South Dakota State advances to the finals and will face South Dakota Tuesday. The final game is scheduled for a 1 p.m. CT tip-off and will be televised nationally on ESPNU.