Oral Roberts 57, Texas State 54
SAN MARCOS, Texas (oruathletics.com) -- With just under three minutes left in the game, Atoe' Jackson nailed a three-pointer that gave the Oral Roberts women's basketball team its first lead of the half, as the Golden Eagles knocked off Texas State, 57-54, Wednesday night.
The final five points from Jackson that included a pair of free throws with just eight seconds left propelled ORU into the quarterfinal round of the Women's Basketball Invitational. ORU will play top seed New Mexico on Monday in Albuquerque.
Vicky McIntyre became just the ninth player in NCAA women's basketball to pull down 500 rebounds in a season as she finished with 22 boards and 16 points. It was the 26th double-double of the season for McIntyre who added four blocks in the game.
Texas State knocked down six three-pointers in the first half as they built a 32-27 lead. However, the Bobcats were stifled by ORU in the second half shooting just 24 percent from the field and hitting one trey in the second half.
Meghan Braeuer led Texas State with 15 points and four steals.
The Turning Point
Atoe' Jackson's three-pointer from the wing with 2:44 left in the game, gave ORU its first lead of the second half, 55-54. The Golden Eagles were able to hold Texas State without a basket over the final 5:21 of the game.
Oral Roberts: Vicky McIntyre led the way with 16 points, 22 rebounds and four blocks. Atoe' Jackson added 13 points.
Texas State: Meghan Braeuer scored 15 points and four steals for the Bobcats.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU eclipsed the 50 rebound mark for the third time in four games and out-rebounded Texas State 54-35.
- The Golden Eagles shot below 40 percent from the field in back-to-back games for the first time since games at Kansas State (12/14/14) and Wisconsin (12/20/14).
- Vicky McIntyre recorded her sixth 20 plus rebound game of the season and moved her season average to 15.9 boards per game.
- ORU finished 8-of-9 from the free throw line and it was the first time since at Wisconsin the Golden Eagles attempted fewer than 10 free throws.
News & Notes
- The Golden Eagles win their fifth postseason game all-time and are now 5-10 in the postseason. (0-6 in NCAA; 4-4 in WNIT; 1-0 WBI)
- It was the first postseason win for ORU since a 92-86 win over Tulane on March 21, 2011.
- Vicky McIntyre moves into the top 10 for rebounds in a single season in the NCAA record books with 508 rebounds. She also becomes just the ninth player in NCAA history to record 500 rebounds in a season and is sixth in the NCAA record books. She is 31 away from the single-season record (539) held by Courtney Paris of Oklahoma in the 2006 season.
- McIntyre added four blocks in the game giving her 149 on the season. It ties her with Brittney Griner for 14th in the NCAA single-season record books.
The Golden Eagles will play at New Mexico on Monday. Game time for the WBI Quarterfinals has not yet been set.