Oral Roberts 63, New Mexico 61
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (oruathletics.com) -- With 22 seconds left, freshman Jordan Doyle hit a three-pointer at the top of the key to give the Oral Roberts women's basketball team a two point lead, as the Golden Eagles upset top seed New Mexico 63-61 in the WBI Quarterfinals Monday night.
The Golden Eagles held off a late New Mexico run to take a 29-27 lead into the locker room at halftime.
From there, ORU was able to hold off the Lobos until Antiesha Brown hit a three-pointer from the corner to put New Mexico up 58-55 with 1:15 left in the game. ORU would retake the lead momentarily when Faith Ihim hit a layup in the lane, but Brown hit a runner to put UNM back on top.
However, the Golden Eagles would have the final say when Doyle hit a three-pointer with 22 seconds left to put ORU on top for good.
New Mexico got one final heave from half court as time expired but missed the back board and ORU held on for the victory.
Vicky McIntyre led ORU with 15 points and 14 rebounds before fouling out in the final minutes. Atoe' Jackson added 12 points and five boards.
Cherise Beynon led all players with a game-high 21 points and 13 rebounds for a double-double of her own.
The Turning Point
Doyle nailed a three-pointer with 22 seconds left to give ORU a 62-60 lead. Dorottya Balla made one-of-two from the free throw line with 17 seconds as the Golden Eagles held on for the upset.
Oral Roberts: Vicky McIntyre led the way with 15 points and 14 rebounds for her 27th double-double of the season.
New Mexico: Cherise Beynon led all players with a game-high 21 points and 13 rebounds for a double-double of her own.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU held their opponent to below 30 percent from the field for the sixth time as UNM shot just 28 percent.
- ORU made just three, three-pointers in the win as UNM made just two.
- New Mexico out-scored ORU 25-1 in points off turnovers.
- It was just the third time Vicky McIntyre fouled out this season and the fourth time for Jordan Doyle.
News & Notes
- The Golden Eagles win their sixth postseason game all-time and are now 6-10 in the postseason. (0-6 in NCAA; 4-4 in WNIT; 2-0 WBI)
- Vicky McIntyre moves into the top 5 for rebounds in a single season in the NCAA record books with 522 rebounds and is just 17 boards shy of Courtney Paris (Oklahoma) single-season record of 539 set in 2006.
- McIntyre added seven blocks to move her total to 156 this season and tied for seventh in the NCAA single-season record books with Louella Tomlinson, St. Mary's (Calif.) who posted 156 in 2008.
- McIntyre posted her 14th consecutive double-double and 27th this season to move her in a tie for 13th for most consecutive and 11th for most in a single-season.
The Golden Eagles advance to the WBI Semifinals against Louisiana Thursday night. Tip-off from Lafayette, La., is scheduled for 7 p.m.