Score: No. 1 South Dakota State 86, No. 4 Oral Roberts 55
Records: South Dakota State (25-6), Oral Roberts (19-12)
Location: Denny Sanford PREMIER Center - Sioux Falls, S.D.
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Top-seeded South Dakota State never trailed on its way to an 86-55 victory over No. 4 seed Oral Roberts in the Summit League Championship semifinals Monday, earning the right to defend its 2017 tournament title.
The Golden Eagles kept it close midway through the first quarter, but a burst of nine unanswered put the Jacks ahead 21-9 at 1:45. All told, SDSU outscored ORU by eight in the final five and half minutes to lead, 23-12, at the quarter break.
The Jacks pushed their lead to 24 (38-14) just past the six-minute mark of the second, breaking out on a 15-0 run early in the stanza to put the game out of reach. The teams settled into a back-and-forth affair the rest of the half, with South Dakota State ahead 47-29 at the break.
Neither team fired out of the gates in the second, but SDSU picked up the pace midway through the period with another double-digit run to close the period ahead, 65-37.
The Golden Eagles pulled within 24 with a pair of 3-pointers early in the fourth, but an up-and-down final period saw South Dakota State take its largest lead of the afternoon with 2:41 to play.
Five Jackrabbits scored in double figures, led by Macy Miller's 18 points. Tagyn Larson added 15 with eight rebounds to narrowly miss a double-double, swatting three shots on the defensive end.
Myah Selland (13 points), Tylee Irwin (11 points) and Lindsey Theuninck (10 points) were in double figures as well, as Selland pulled down seven boards and Theuninck led the team with six assists. Miller was closed behind with five dishes.
Maya Mayberry and KeniJo Lippe each had 10 points for Oral Roberts, while Regan Schumacher had seven rebounds.
The Jackrabbits advance to Tuesday's championship game against the winner of No. 2 seed South Dakota and No. 6 seed North Dakota. Tipoff is 1 p.m.
- From 5:31 of the first quarter to 5:47 of the second, the Jackrabbits outscored Oral Roberts by 21 in a 26-5 scoring burst to pull away.
Inside the Box Score
- South Dakota State outscored Oral Roberts in the paint, 44-16
- The Jackrabbits were plus-19 on the boards (46-27) and turned 11 offensive rebounds into 17 second-chance points.
- ORU had 11 second-chance points on 10 offensive boards
- South Dakota State hit eight of nine field goal attempts in the fourth quarter and finished the game 55.4 percent from the field
News & Notes
- Oral Roberts is 25-15 all-time in the tournament, 7-6 in the semifinals and 11-2 as a No. 4 seed
- South Dakota State is 27-2 all-time in the tournament, 9-1 in the semifinals and 11-1 as the No. 1 seed
- SDSU is into the title game for the ninth time
- The Jackrabbits lead the all-time series with Oral Roberts, 19-6 with 14 consecutive wins against the Golden Eagles
- Macy Miller entered the game with 2,247 career points, and is now 13 shy of breaking Kevi Luper's Summit League scoring record (2,277)
- By holding Oral Roberts to eight points in the third quarter, South Dakota State has now limited opponents to single-digit quarters 18 times