IUPUI Captures Summit League Volleyball Championship
Score: No. 1 IUPUI 3, No. 2 Denver 0
Records: IUPUI (19-13), Denver (17-12)
Location: The Jungle – Indianapolis, Ind.
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Top-seed IUPUI swept No. 2 Denver, 25-19, 25-19, 25-19 to capture its first Summit League Tournament crown at The Jungle on Sunday afternoon.
IUPUI's Alexis Meeks, the 2013 Summit League Setter of the Year, posted a 36-assist, 11-dig double-double and was named the tournament's MVP.
Moriah Fair led the Jaguar offense with 12 kills, while Kaitlyn Hickey had 11 with only one error in 23 attempts for a .435 hitting percentage. Defensively, IUPUI had four players with double-digit digs led by Beth Howard with a match-high 17.
Denver's Moni Corrujedo posted a double-double with a match-high 14 kills and 10 digs.
The Jaguars earned their first NCAA Tournament berth and head into the tournament having won 10 of their last 11 matches.
With the score tied 13-13 in set one, IUPUI pulled away as they rattled off three-straight points to take a 16-13 lead, which they held on to the rest of the set.
The second set was very similar as it went back-and-forth early on. The Jaguars broke it open as they strung together three consecutive points to break a 14-14 tie. IUPUI followed that up with a five-point to extend its lead to six points, eventually winning the set and heading into the break up 2-0 in the match.
IUPUI never trailed in the third set. The Jaguars took an early six point lead, 11-5 after four-straight points. A late seven-point run extended IUPUI's lead to nine, 23-14, however Denver never gave up and fought off three IUPUI set points.
Inside The Box Score
- Moriah Fair led the IUPUI offense with 12 kills.
- A pair of Jaguars recorded double-doubles, Hickey had 11 kills and 12 digs and Alexis Meeks, the 2013 Championship MVP, had 36 assists and 11 digs.
- IUPUI had four players post double-digit digs. Beth Howard tallied a match-high 17 digs.
- Denver was led by Moni Corrujedo who posted a 14-kill, 10-dig double-double.
- DU's Tori Moons tallied 27 assists and Samantha Berger had a team-high 12 digs.
News & Notes
- IUPUI captured its first league tournament title and berth to the NCAA Tournament in program history.
- The Jaguars have won 10 of their last 11 matches.
- With her 36 assists, IUPU's Alexis Meeks became the first player in IUPUI history to surpass 4,000 career assists and the ninth player in league history accomplish this feat.
Moriah Fair, IUPUI
Kaitlyn Hickey, IUPUI
Kendall Kritenbrink, South Dakota
Alexis Meeks, IUPUI (MVP)
Ann Miller, Western Illinois
Jen Milligan, Fort Wayne
Emily Minnick, North Dakota State
Brea Muhle, Denver
Sarah Schmid, Denver
IUPUI earns The Summit League's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA Selection Show is scheduled for Sunday, Dec. 1 at 9:30 p.m. ET on ESPNU.