ELMHURST, Ill. – After another great weekend of #SummitVB action, Oral Roberts' Laura Milos nabbed her first Offensive Player of the Week award this season while Mikaela Purnell of North Dakota State notched her second of the year for her efforts on the defensive side of the net.
Milos blasted 53 kills in 10 sets (5.30 k/s) for the Golden Eagles while hitting at a .270 clip—23 points better than her season total coming into last week. Currently, she ranks No. 1 in the league in kills (156) and kills/set (5.03), and her 22 kills in a win over UCF marked the third time in 2017 Milos eclipsed 20-plus kills.
For the second time in three weeks, Purnell got the nod for Defensive Player of the Week after posting 66 digs in 11 sets (6.00 d/s). As of today, Purnell's 5.97 d/s season average is No. 8 in the NCAA and her season-high 27 digs in a three-set loss to North Dakota is tied for fifth-best nationally.
Laura Milos, Oral Roberts
Sr. // OH // Porec, Croatia
- Ranks No. 5 nationally in kills/set this season (5.03)
- Ranks No. 24 in NCAA in total kills this season (156)
- Accounts for three of the league's seven 20-plus kill performances in 2017
- Currently tied for most career Offensive Player of the Week titles in league history (12)
- Single-season league record holder for kills (631 – 2016) and kills/set (5.79 – 2016)
- Ranks No. 4 all-time in Summit League history with 1,872 career kills
Also nominated: Becca Latham (Denver), Nicole Rightnowar (Fort Wayne), Brianna Rasmusson (NDSU), Bella Sade (Omaha), Rachel Schmidt (South Dakota), Shalyn Greenhaw (Western Illinois)
Previous Winners: Aug. 28 – Kayla Principato (Denver) | Sept. 5 – Brianna Rasmusson (NDSU)
Mikaela Purnell, North Dakota State
Sr. // L // Excelsior, Minn.
- Six career Summit League Defensive Player of the Week titles
- Has posted double-figure digs in 28 consecutive matches dating back to September 18, 2016
- Has recorded 20-plus digs six times this season and 26 times in her career
- In NDSU history, ranks No. 2 in d/s (4.48) and No. 10 in digs (1,273)
- In Summit League history, ranks No. 7 in d/s (4.48)
- Summit League Defensive Player of the Year (2016)
Also nominated: Natalie Seiler (Fort Wayne), Claire Mountjoy (Omaha), Tori Roe (Oral Roberts), Anne Rasmussen (South Dakota), Emilee Dechant (Western Illinois)
Previous Winners: Aug. 28 – Mikaela Purnell (NDSU) | Sept. 5 – Bella Lien (NDSU)
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 35 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 100,000 at eight institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University with the University of North Dakota becoming an official member on July 1, 2018. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced nine NCAA Champions along with over 90 Academic All-Americans, nearly 100 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague.