SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – The non-conference action continues for The Summit League volleyball teams this weekend with competition all over the country. The action begins tomorrow with all nine members competing.
Around The League
- Denver is now 5-1 to open the 2018 season including a 3-1 mark in five-set matches. The Pioneers checked in at No. 9 in the latest Volleyball Magazine's Mid-Major Poll.
- DU stays in the Hamilton Gymnasium this weekend as host of the Pioneer Showdown, which will have competition consisting of Fairleigh Dickinson, Saint Peter's and Idaho State.
- South Dakota will make its way down to Conway, Ark., to play in the Central Arkansas Invitational where the Coyotes will matchup against 2017 Southland Conference champions Central Arkansas. USD will also see competition against Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Little Rock.
- North Dakota claimed its sixth championship since 2011 at its annual UND Classic after sweeping all three opponents. The Fighting Hawks hit the road to Clemson, S.C., where they will see Troy Friday night and UAB along with host Clemson on Saturday.
- Purdue Fort Wayne also finished the weekend with a 3-0 record. The Mastodons will head to the DePaul Invitational where they will find themselves up against Florida Atlantic (Friday), UConn and DePaul (Saturday).
- Omaha secured the title at its home tournament to mark the 10th time in program history that the Mavericks garnered an undefeated home tournament record. Omaha heads down to Big 12 territory to compete at the K-State Invitational. The invite consists of Oregon State, North Texas (Friday) and Kansas State Saturday.
- Oral Roberts will travel across town for the Tulsa Volleyball Invitational. The Golden Eagles will compete against Northwestern State Friday, Abilene Christian and Tulsa on Saturday.
- North Dakota State snapped a four-match losing streak with a 3-1 victory over Western Carolina on the Bison's home court. NDSU will bring the momentum from its victory to the Ball State Active Ankle Challenge. The Bison open the tournament with Big Ten member Indiana before facing Ball State Friday. NDSU will round out the tournament with a match against Northern Iowa Saturday.
- Western Illinois travels to Fort Myers, Fla., to compete at the FGCU Classic. The Leathernecks will see Albany and West Virginia Friday and Florida Gulf Coast Saturday.
- South Dakota State will compete at the Drake Invitational in Des Moines, Iowa. The slate for the Jackrabbits consists of UMass Lowell, Drake (Friday), Eastern Illinois and Iowa (Saturday).
2018 Players of the Week
Offense: Madison Jaqua, Sr., S, Purdue Fort Wayne
Defense: Olivia Novotny, Sr., L/DS, Denver
Offensive: Sydney Case, Fr. S, Omaha
Defensive: Anne Rasmussen, Jr. L/DS, South Dakota
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Through 36 years of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of nearly 115,000 at nine institutions, including three located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Purdue Fort Wayne (Purdue University Fort Wayne), the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced 12 NCAA Champions along with over 100 Academic All-Americans, and nearly 125 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website