FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (arkansasrazorbacks.com) Nanar Airapetian clinched two points in a shutout over 4th-seeded Oral Roberts, 4-0, as the No. 1 seed University of Arkansas Razorbacks advanced into the second round of the NCAA Women's Tennis Tournament on Saturday.
The Hogs (14-7) proved their dominance early in the match after
claiming the doubles point. Seniors and 45th-ranked Aurelija
Miseviciute and Ela Kaluder rocketed by ORU's Ana Costa and Tayler
Pipper, 8-2. Number 20 Nanar Airapetian and Anouk Tigu blanked
Hayden Rush and Rafaela Souza, 8-0, giving Arkansas a 1-0 lead.
One quick glace around the courts in the opening sets illustrated that the Razorbacks had a tight grasp on the match.
Ranked second nationally, Miseviciute did not relinquish a game against Rush on Court 1, 6-0, 6-0, extending the Hogs' lead to 2-0. Freshman Emily Carbone followed the lead of her senior teammate, blanking Costa, 6-0, 6-0, setting up the clincher for Airapetian.
#14 Arkansas- 4
Oral Roberts- 0
1. #2 Aurelija Miseviciute (Ark) def. Hayden Rush (ORU), 6-0, 6-0
2. #77 Anouk Tigu (Ark) led Rafaela Souza (ORU), 6-1, 1-0.
3. Ela Kaluder (Ark) led. Tayler Pippen (ORU), 6-1, 2-0.
4. Emily Carbone (Ark) def. Ana Costa (ORU), 6-0, 6-0.
5. Nanar Airapetian (Ark) def. Corrine Langston (ORU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Kate Lukomskaya (Ark) led. Ekaterina Kondrashova, 6-2, 3-0.
Order of Finish: (1,4,5*)
1. #20 Nanar Airapetian/Anouk Tigu (Ark) def. Hayden Rush/Rafaela Souza (ORU), 8-2.
2. #45 Aurelija Miseviciute/Ela Kaluder (Ark) def. Ana Costa/Tayler Pippen (ORU), 8-0.
3. Emily Carbone/Kate Lukomskaya (Ark) led. Corrine Langston/Ekaterina Kondrashova (ORU), 5-3.
Order of Finish: (2,1*)