WEEKLY NOTEBOOK: No. 12 (w/stats)
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- Week No. 5 of #SummitMBB action means all nine teams will have hit the halfway point of league play by the conclusion of Saturday's four-game schedule and there are still plenty of questions to be answered. Saturday's slate of games could be highlighted by a potential first-place showdown in Brookings, but league co-leaders South Dakota State (5-1) and Omaha (5-1) have to get through tough Thursday matchups to make that a reality. The Jacks play North Dakota State -- a team coming off a rivalry win over league newcomer UND -- and Omaha takes on a Purdue Fort Wayne team looming only a game behind the Mavs in the standings.
FIVE THINGS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED...
• Senior Joe Rosga made sure Denver's five-game skid to open league play came to end in the Mile High City last week. Rosga averaged 19.0 ppg as the Pioneers picked up a pair of home wins to break into the win column in league play.
• Omaha has won eight of its last nine games, but has a tough two-game road stretch to navigate this week at Purdue Fort Wayne (Thursday) and South Dakota State (Saturday). The Mavs are scoring at an 85.4 ppg clip, highest among teams in league play and are the only unit to have all five starters averaging in double figures.
• C.J. Duff's 30-point outing in Western Illinois' 87-58 victory over Purdue Fort Wayne might have been the most surprising of the league's 16 such performances this season. Duff had combined for only 27 points (6.4 ppg) during WIU's four-game skid leading up to his eruption where he sank eight of his team's season-high 15 3-pointers in the victory.
• South Dakota State's Mike Daum became just the fourth player in NCAA Division I to register a 30-point, 20-rebound outing when he went for 34 points and a career-high 21 rebounds. The effort earned the Kimball, Neb., native his sixth #SummitMBB Player of the Week award of the season and 17th of his career. He only needs one more weekly honor this season to equal his own single-season league record of seven that he shares with Nate Wolters (SDSU; 2012-13).
• North Dakota State took the first #SummitMBB tilt with North Dakota as the two long-time rivals played a conference game for the first time since the 2003-04 season. It was another classic as the Bison won 67-65 in Fargo, snapping a streak of five consecutive wins by the road team in the series.
UPCOMING SCHEDULE (TV/Stream; all times local to site)
Wednesday, January 23
South Dakota at North Dakota* (MSN/E+) 7 p.m.
Thursday, January 24
Omaha at Purdue Fort Wayne* 7 p.m.
NDSU at SDSU* (MSN/E+) 7 p.m.
Saturday, January 26
Western Illinois at South Dakota* (MSN/E3) 3:30 p.m.
Omaha at SDSU* (MSN2/COX/E3) 4:15 p.m.
Denver at Purdue Fort Wayne* 6 p.m.
NDSU at Oral Roberts* (KGEB/E3) 7 p.m.
Wednesday, January 16
Denver 80, NDSU 65*
SDSU 78, North Dakota 74*
Thursday, January 17
Omaha 80, Western Illinois 71*
Oral Roberts 77, South Dakota 74*
Saturday, January 19
NDSU 67, North Dakota 65*
Western Illinois 87, Purdue Fort Wayne 58*
Sunday, January 20
Denver 74, Oral Roberts 58*
Omaha 75, South Dakota 68*
*Summit League contest
THE NET RESULTS
Here's a look at how Summit League members are stacking up in the NCAA's new "NET" rankings system, which replaced the RPI from year's past.
Through games of Jan. 20:
South Dakota State (121)
South Dakota (213)
Purdue Fort Wayne (237)
North Dakota State (243)
North Dakota (271)
Oral Roberts (299)
Western Illinois (305)
NOTING THE PIONEERS...
• After an 0-5 start to league play, the Pios have responded with back-to-back wins and will look to make it three straight Saturday at Purdue Fort Wayne.
• DU won those two home games by an average of 15.5 ppg.
• Senior Joe Rosga was the catalyst, averaging 19.0 ppg and shooting 56 percent from the field and 50 percent from 3-point range (6-for-12).
• Rosga was one shy of a season-high in points during the win over Oral Roberts, finishing with 21 points on 8-of-14 shooting.
• Junior Ade Murkey also turned in two solid performances last week, averaging 14.5 ppg and 3.5 apg.
NOTING THE FIGHTING HAWKS...
• The last four league matchups for the Fighting Hawks have all been decided by single digits, but they have only come away with one victory during that stretch.
• Their three losses have been decided by one, four and two points while their lone win was a six-point win over Western Illinois.
• Junior Marlon Stewart has strung together three straight double-figure scoring games (18.0 ppg) and leads the Summit League with 36 assists in league action.
• Senior Conner Avants continues to lead the league in field goal percentage (61.7) and tops the team in scoring at 12.3 ppg.
• Redshirt Freshman Aanen Moody has made 23 3-pointers in league action which trails only David Jenkins (SDSU; 24) for most triples made.
NOTING THE BISON...
• North Dakota State dug itself out of an early double-digit deficit against in-state rival North Dakota to escape with a 67-65 victory over the Fighting Hawks Saturday and have now won three of four to pull even at 3-3 in league play.
• Junior Deng Geu led the Bison with 15 points and eight rebounds against UND. Geu is the only Summit League reserve leading his team in scoring (11.9 ppg). He has upped that to 12.7 ppg in league play.
• The Bison start a four-game road swing at league-leader South Dakota State Thursday that also includes stops at Oral Roberts (Jan. 26), at Western Illinois (Feb. 2) and at North Dakota (Feb. 6).
NOTING THE MAVERICKS...
• The Mavericks have won eight of their last nine and grabbed a share of the top spot in the Summit League standings thanks to their latest triumph -- a 75-68 home win over South Dakota.
• Omaha is averaging a league-best 85.3 ppg in Summit League play. The 75 points scored against the Coyotes were the fewest by Omaha in one of its 11 wins this season.
• Senior Zach Jackson averaged 21.0 ppg in two wins last week and now has eight 20-plus point scoring games on the season.
• Jackson is averaging 18.1 ppg in league play and all five Omaha starters are averaging in double figures. The Mavericks are the only league team that can make that claim.
• Sophomore Matt Pile has double-doubles in three of the last four games and his seven on the season are tied for third most in the league.
• Pile is averaging 13.3 ppg and 10.8 rpg during Omaha's four-game winning streak.
NOTING THE GOLDEN EAGLES...
• Oral Roberts has dropped three of four after opening Summit League play with a 3-0 record.
• The latest setback came at Denver Sunday when the Golden Eagles played withouth their leading scorer and rebounder -- Emmanuel Nzekwesi. ORU's big man is averaging a double-double in league play (18.7 ppg/10.3 rpg).
• Redshirt freshman Kevin Obanor has done an admirable job filling in for the junior, averaging 24.0 ppg in two games last week.
• Obanor (31) and fellow fellow rookie DeShang Weaver (24) combined for 55 points in the ORU's 77-74 win over South Dakota Thursday. Both figures were career-highs for the freshmen duo.
NOTING THE MASTODONS...
• The Mastodons open a three-game homestand Thursday against Omaha, who is one of the league's co-leaders.
• Purdue Fort Wayne suffered through its coldest shooting performance of the season as the Mastodons went just 4-for-20 from beyond the arc. The four makes were a season low for a team that ranks fourth nationally in made 3-pointers.
• The Mastodons had made at least triples in eight straight games.
• Konchar had 12 points, eight rebounds and four steals against the Leathernecks and continues to rank among the top five in a number of statistical categories.
• He needs 15 points in his next outing to become the program's all-time leading scorer. Frank Gaines holds the current record at 1,841.
NOTING THE COYOTES...
• The Coyotes conclude a three-game road trip at North Dakota Wednesday looking to snap a two-game skid. Both teams have been locked in tight contests of late with USD dropping its last two by a combined total of 10 points.
• Sophomore Stanley Umude has reached the 20-point plateau in four straight games (23.3 ppg) and is shooting 50.7 percent from the floor during that stretch.
• Umude's scoring surge has seen him become the team's leading scorer (13.7 ppg), surpassing Trey Burch-Manning (12.5 ppg) who has missed the last four games, for that distinction.
• Junior Triston Simpson is averaging 13.3 ppg over his last four games. He played all 40 minutes for the second time in the last three contests at Omaha.
NOTING THE JACKRABBITS...
• Senior Mike Daum moved into the Top 20 on the NCAA Division I all-time scoring charts with his 34-point effort in a road win at North Dakota. He added a career-high 21 rebounds in that victory to become just the fourth player in DI this season with a 30-point, 20-rebound game.
• Sophomore David Jenkins had a rare off night from 3-point land (1-for-5), but still finished with 20 points. It was his ninth 20-plus point scoring game of the season and he only trails Daum (13) in that category among league players.
• Jenkins leads the Summit League in 3-pointers made this season in both overall games (66) and league games (24).
NOTING THE FIGHTING LEATHERNECKS...
• The Fighting Leathernecks torched their home nets in a 87-58 victory over Purdue Fort Wayne Thursday to snap a four-game losing streak.
• Junior C.J. Duff connected on 8-of-9 from deep to finish with a career-high 30 points while sophomore Kobe Webster added a 4-for-6 effort from beyond the arc to finish with 16 points.
• Duff's 30-point night came off a stretch where he averaged just 6.4 ppg (27 points) during the four-game skid.
• The Leathernecks finished with a season-high 15 makes from 3-point territory and Duff was one off equaling the program's single-game record.
• WIU returns to the court Saturday at South Dakota for its only road game during a five-game stretch.
July 18, 2019 Summit League Unveils 2018-19 Academic Honor Roll
July 17, 2019 Ten Summit League players land on NABC Honors Court
June 21, 2019 Konchar set to ink two-way deal with Memphis Grizzlies
May 30, 2019 Sather named UND head men's basketball coach
April 4, 2019 #SummitMBB players set to embark on Minneapolis
April 3, 2019 Five first-timers make up #SummitMBB All-Academic Team
March 27, 2019 Henderson takes reins of Jackrabbits
March 26, 2019 Daum collects NABC All-America honors
March 23, 2019 Duke bounces Bison from Big Dance thanks to big second half
March 20, 2019 SDSU's comeback effort falls short in Texas
March 20, 2019 Bison get Duke next after First Four win in Dayton
March 19, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: Postseason Edition
March 18, 2019 Daum garners USBWA Third Team All-America honors
March 12, 2019 Fourth-seeded Bison punch ticket to Big Dance
March 11, 2019 Hahn's late shot lifts Omaha to finals
March 9, 2019 Leathernecks stun Jacks, move onto semis
March 9, 2019 Mavs move on to semis after holding off Fighting Hawks
March 7, 2019 Horizon League‐Summit League Showdown to start in 2020
March 6, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: Championship Edition
March 5, 2019 Daum, Holscher earn February Athlete of the Month honors
March 4, 2019 Hahn, Seales share final #SummitMBB weekly accolade
March 1, 2019 LIVE COVERAGE: 2019 Basketball Championships
February 26, 2019 Daum named USBWA Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week
February 26, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 17
February 25, 2019 Daum sets record with eighth weekly honor of the season
February 21, 2019 Pile, Webster named to Google Cloud Academic All-District Teams
February 19, 2019 Basketball Championships: Single-session tickets go on sale Feb. 26
February 19, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 16
February 12, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 15
February 11, 2019 Gilbeck, Obanor share weekly #SummitMBB honor
February 6, 2019 Daum among 10 male finalists for Senior CLASS Award®
February 5, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 14
February 4, 2019 Konchar collects third weekly honor of the season
January 29, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 13
January 28, 2019 Daum ties single-season league record with seventh weekly honor
January 22, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 12
January 21, 2019 Daum garners sixth #SummitMBB weekly honor of the season
January 15, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 11
January 14, 2019 Umude grabs his first #SummitMBB Player of the Week award
January 8, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 10
January 7, 2019 Nzekwesi secures #SummitMBB Player of the Week award
January 1, 2019 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 9
December 31, 2018 Konchar nets second straight Player of the Week honor
December 28, 2018 UND, NDSU home men’s basketball games postponed
December 27, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 8
December 23, 2018 1,000-rebound duo shares #SummitMBB weekly honor
December 18, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 7
December 17, 2018 Hahn, Kelley share #SummitMBB Player of the Week accolade
December 11, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 6
December 10, 2018 Daum ties #SummitMBB record with 15th Player of the Week award
December 6, 2018 Veteran duo dominates in November to earn monthly accolades
December 4, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 5
December 3, 2018 Daum secures third Player of the Week award of the season
November 27, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 4
November 26, 2018 Daum, Jackson share Player of the Week award
November 20, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 3
November 19, 2018 Gilbeck corrals his first #SummitMBB Player of the Week award
November 13, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 2
November 12, 2018 Daum nets 12th career #SummitMBB Player of the Week accolade
November 6, 2018 #SummitMBB Weekly Notebook: No. 1
October 19, 2018 2018-19 Basketball Media Day
October 16, 2018 Summit League and WAC announce Men's Basketball Challenge series
October 4, 2018 South Dakota State picked to repeat as Summit League Champs
September 27, 2018 Basketball Media Day set for Oct. 22 in Sioux Falls
July 26, 2018 Summit League Announces 2018-19 MBB and WBB Schedules
July 25, 2018 Flack Signs Pro Deal Overseas