ELMHURST, Ill. – Omaha forward Fazlo Alihodzic was named Summit League Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week while Maverick teammate and goalkeeper Joseph Ghitis and Denver defender Kortne Ford garnered league Defensive Player of the Week awards for their performances, Aug. 29-Sept. 5.
FAZLO ALIHODZIC, OMAHA
Sr. // F // St. Louis, Mo.
- Earned second career Offensive Player of the Week award
- Totaled six points on two goals and two assists during the week
- Factored into all three Omaha goals with goal and pair of assists in 3-0 win over Drake
- Accounted for Mavericks' lone goal in 1-1 tie against No. 8 Creighton
Also nominated: Alex Underwood, Denver; Tyler Enright, Eastern Illinois; Oscar Uyamadu, Fort Wayne; Colton Haskin, Oral Roberts
Previous honorees: Aug. 29 – Santiago Riveros, ORU
JOSEPH GHITIS, OMAHA
Jr. // GK // Weston, Fla.
- Claimed his third career Defensive Player of the Week selection
- Posted a 0.45 GAA and .875 save percentage while recording a 1-0-1 record during the week
- Made two saves for his first shutout of the season in win over Drake
- Totaled five saves to secure a 1-1 tie against No. 8 Creighton
KORTNE FORD, DENVER
Jr. // D // Greeley, Colo.
- Received his first career Defensive Player of the Week honor
- Led a Denver defense that did not yield a goal and just three total shots on goal in wins at Northwestern and UIC
- Scored the opening goal in Pioneers' victory at UIC
Also nominated: Mike Novotny, Eastern Illinois; Parker Johnson, Oral Roberts
Previous honorees: Aug. 29 – Reagan Dunk, DU
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.