ELMHURST, Ill. – Omaha forward Emmanuel Hamzat was named Summit League Men's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week, while Eastern Illinois goalkeeper Mike Novotny and Omaha goalie Joseph Ghitis garnered the Defensive Player of the Week awards for their performances, Oct. 17-23.
EMMANUEL HAMZAT, OMAHA
Jr. // F // Lagos, Nigeria
- Earned his first career Offensive Player of the Week award
- Recorded his first career brace with a pair of goals in a 4-0 win at Bradley
- Added the game-tying goal in the 28th minute and assisted on the game-winning goal at the 35:47 mark in Saturday's 2-1 win at Western Illinois
- For the week, had three goals and one assist for seven total points, including the game-winner at Bradley
Also nominated: Karsten Hanlin, Denver; Alex Castaneda, Eastern Illinois; Santiago Riveros, Oral Roberts
Previous honorees: Aug. 29 – Santiago Riveros, ORU; Sept. 6 – Fazlo Alihodzic, UNO; Sept. 12 – Thilo Korperich, IPFW; Sept. 19 – Jacob Bevan, WIU; Sept. 26 – Santiago Riveros, ORU; Oct. 3 – Jacob Murphy, IPFW/Fazlo Alihodzic, UNO; Oct. 10 – Fazlo Alihodzic, UNO; Oct. 17 – Blake Elder, DU
MIKE NOVOTNY, EASTERN ILLINOIS
Jr. // GK // St. Charles, Ill.
- Collected his third career Defensive Player of the Week honor and first this season
- Registered his second consecutive shutout and third of the season in a 1-0 win over Fort Wayne
- Scoreless into the 76th minute, four of his six saves came in the second half to preserve the victory
- The win was the first in league play for Eastern Illinois this season
JOSEPH GHITIS, OMAHA
Jr. // GK // Weston, Fla.
- Captured his third Defensive Player of the Week award this season and fifth of his career
- Collected six saves in a shutout victory at Bradley
- Added four more saves in a win at league foe Western Illinois
- For the week, went 2-0 with one shutout, 10 saves, a .909 save percentage and 0.50 goals against average
Also nominated: Scott Devoss, Denver; Cameron Knox, IUPUI; Thibaut Giquel, Oral Roberts
Previous honorees: Aug. 29 – Reagan Dunk, DU; Sept. 6 – Joseph Ghitis, UNO/Kortne Ford, DU; Sept. 12 – Tim Hansen, WIU; Sept. 19 – Kortne Ford, DU; Sept. 26 – Jacob Weiler, UNO; Oct. 3 – Sam Hamilton, DU; Oct. 10 – AJ Fuller, DU/Joseph Ghitis, UNO; Oct. 17 – Reagan Dunk, DU
ABOUT THE SUMMIT LEAGUE
Celebrating its 35th season of Division I athletics, The Summit League offers 19 championship sports and has a combined enrollment of over 120,000 at nine institutions, including four located in top 60 U.S. metro populations and two land-grant universities. Member institutions include: Denver (University of Denver), Fort Wayne (Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne), IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis), North Dakota State University, Omaha (University of Nebraska Omaha), Oral Roberts University, the University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and Western Illinois University. Previously known as the Mid-Continent Conference, The Summit League rebranded in 2007 and has since produced eight NCAA Champions along with over 80 Academic All-Americans, 75 All-America selections and numerous former student-athletes competing at the highest professional level. For more information about the league, visit www.thesummitleague.org website, follow The Summit League on Twitter @thesummitleague and watch the weekly "Inside The Summit League" show at www.thesummitleague.org/itsl.