SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - South Dakota's Merga Gemeda and Abby Ripperda claimed The Summit League Male and Female Athlete of the Week accolades, respectively, after their performances this past weekend. This is the first weekly award for Gemeda and the second honor of the season for Ripperda.
Merga Gemeda, South Dakota
Sophomore | Sioux City, Iowa
- Placed 21st out of 237 runners at the Woody Greeno Invitational with an 8K time of 25:30.6.
- Helped the Coyotes to an 11th-place team finish out of 20 teams
- Competed against teams such as Iowa, Kansas State, Nebraska, Air Force and Saint Louis, among others
Also nominated: Emmanuel Kigngetich (Oral Roberts)
Abby Ripperda, South Dakota
Junior | Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Finished second out of 189 runners, clocking a 5K time of 17:16.6 at the Woody Greeno Invitational
- Third straight meet leading the Coyotes
- Paced the Coyotes to a team finish of third out of 19 teams
Also nominated: Alexa Granderson (Oral Roberts); Nicole Beebe (Western Illinois)