SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – For the second time in three weeks, South Dakota State's Merga Gemeda and Abby Ripperda were named The Summit League Cross Country Male and Female Athletes of the Week, respectively, after their performances this past weekend. This is the second weekly award for Gemeda and the third honor of the season for Ripperda.
Merga Gemeda, South Dakota
Sophomore | Sioux City, Iowa
- Recorded 8K time of 25:15.3 at the Chile Pepper Festival, finishing 72nd overall
- Anchored the Coyotes to a 21nd-place finish
- Led South Dakota for the second-straight meet of the fall
Also nominated: Draven Thompson, Purdue Fort Wayne
Abby Ripperda, South Dakota
Junior | Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Finished eighth out of 278 runners, clocking a personal-best 5K time of 16:45.5 at the Chile Pepper Festival
- Her time is now the second-fastest time in league history
- Paced the Coyotes to an eighth-place team finish out of 27 teams
Also nominated: Kathy Potter, Purdue Fort Wayne